S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > Member Section > Members' Rides

Old 06-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
TerribleTrux
Love,Peace&Chicken Grease

1One Terrible'99 S10 ZQ8

Just thought I would post up some photos of my '99 I took over the weekend.

Last edited by TerribleTrux; 05-22-2013 at 04:56 PM.
TerribleTrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
MPETE
SSF Subscriber*
ummm, WHAT?

clean looking truck. always did like the X wheels on non xtreme trucks
1996 S10 excab stepside V6 5spd --Pedro
1992 Corvette LT1/auto --Slim
MPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
TerribleTrux

Some history on the truck :

I purchased her May 2nd 2009 with 214K Km, 133k miles. For the past 3 years I have only fed her gasoline, give her a wash from time to time and driver her only in the summer months. I think she is now in the 245K km, 152k mile mark.

This spring I decided to give her some TLC. Took her to my trusty mechanic for a check up. I got a list of things that need attention, and I started my voyage. Things needed :

Center link
Idler arm
Front rotors / pads
Intake gaskets
Air conditioning
Tires

Well the tires were easy, I had some used ones from a previous truck that I sold with 85% tread left. Got them mounted up on my Xtreme rims. Center link, idler arm, front brakes I tackled shortly after.

Last edited by TerribleTrux; 05-22-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
TerribleTrux

The intake gaskets were a two day ordeal. One day to take it all apart, and the next day to put it back together. This was my first time doing intake gaskets on a dirty engine. All previous gasket jobs have been on small blocks that were a fresh rebuild.

Intake off, gaskets still stuck to the heads.

Sh-itty OEM gaskets. Not sure if someone has been in here before me or not, there looks to be light grey silicon on the front and back of the lifter gallery.

Using new Felpro aftermarket gaskets.

Cleaning the intake. Used a razor blade to scrape off the stuck stuff, then a scotch bright pad and brake Kleen to give it a deeper clean.

All cleaned up. The marks around the water ports are not pit's, just stains i guess from the old gaskets. There were a few pit's from corrosion, but not bad enough to worry about IMO

Cleaned the heads the same way as the intake. Covered the lifter gallery and used a shop vac to suck up the debris as i scraped it off.

Gaskets on, lifter gallery sealed with the right stuff, literally.

Got it all back together with new coolant. Once up and running, i took her for an hour long drive. Temps / pressures all normal. After returning home I let the truck sit for a while to cool down and re checked for leaks / wet spots along the intake... and all looks good.

I was going to attempt fixing the air conditioning my self, but after this intake job I thought one new adventure was enough for me. More info about the A/C here http://s-seriesforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87540 . Once I got all the parts I dropped the truck off at my mechanics to let him deal with it. I'm picking it up tomorrow afternoon . Lets hope it's not to much $$$..
Old 08-11-2012, 02:17 AM   #5
Hoss
SSF Subscriber
my former rides

Nice truck, really makes me miss my 02.
2006 Silverado Z71 - the new addition

My Gallery
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
TerribleTrux

I picked up the truck on Friday and the A/C now blows cold!! Drove her around all weekend with no problems, so I made the switch. Now driving the S-10 full time until late fall.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
TerribleTrux

Question about front spindle pre-load

When doing the brakes I ran into a little bit of an unknown, at least for me.

Here was my procedure: (after new disc install with re-packed bearings, Caliper not installed, Tire on.)
- Tighten crown nut fairly tight.
- Spin wheel to seat the bearings
- Loosen the crown nut until play is noticed
- Tighten crown nut until play is gone

This is where I got confused. When no play was noticed the holes on the spindle and the crown nut did not align. So it was either on the loose side or the tight side when aligning the cotter pin with the holes. The loose side seemed two loose for me, with noticeable play in the bearings but the wheel spun freely. On the tighter side obviously no play in the bearings but when spinning the wheel some drag was noticed. It didn't feel crunchy like when the bearings are over tight but not as smooth as the looser setting.

Not knowing which one to pick, I picked the tighter setting for both front wheels. Being aware of this I checked the bearing housing temps after driving around and noticed the housing to be quite warm. Popping off the cover on the wheel and putting your hand on the housing left you pulling your hand away after 1 - 2 seconds. I've put on about 250 miles on the truck since the replacement of the disc's and the temps have been going down ( Measured by my thermally accurate hands & fingers ). I've also noticed a noise from the front end that changes with the speed of the truck, but I can't determine if its tire noise from the newer tires, or if its a sign of the bearings deteriorating from being set on this so called tighter setting.

So my real question is, did I set up the bearings correctly?
Old 08-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
MPETE
SSF Subscriber*
ummm, WHAT?

you did it fine. I have always tightened mine until there was a little bit of resistance.
I would suspect your noise is in fact from the new tires.
1996 S10 excab stepside V6 5spd --Pedro
1992 Corvette LT1/auto --Slim
MPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Fine job on the intake gaskets, the new gaskets work great, you can forget about them! As with Mark, you adjusted the castle nuts correctly. Too much slop and your front end will wander. I realized mine were a little out of adjustment when I switched to the blazer setup, front end is tight now.

How much grease did you pack into the bearings? Did you fill the cavity with grease after installing the rotor?
64 Chevelle Malibu crew cab, 6.0L LQ4 / T56 V8 swap Click for project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeleton
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
TerribleTrux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
How much grease did you pack into the bearings? Did you fill the cavity with grease after installing the rotor?
I re-packed the bearings by hand untill all the voids were full and when putting them in the rotor I plopped a glob on the bearing race. The cavity between the two bearings has some grease, but its not packed full. When I took the old rotors off I did notice the cavity was really full with grease and I questioned it, thinking it was kind of a waste.

Last edited by TerribleTrux; 08-17-2012 at 09:42 AM.