S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > General Non S-Series Stuff > Off Topic

Old 10-27-2017, 07:47 AM   #1
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Side work

Trying to come up with car fund and it's kicking my azz. Opened up the garage doors for some side work and it's been "fun".

First off was replacing the u-joints on a 98 4 runner with a double cardan joint and weird sized joints that no one listed correctly (3 part store runs later), checked power steering lines on a 200x something highlander and chased down rattles, and just did a tune up, replaced optispark(distributor) and water pump on a 94 z28 with 46k miles. I thought working on an LT1 in an s-series was hard!

Had to do 98% of the tuneup from under the car because of the exhaust manifolds, had to remove the starter, alternator, and power steering pump to reach plugs / route plug wires. Water pump didn't seal on pass side first go round. I'd like to find the engineer and pump shot a haymaker straight in the reproduction portion of his soul.

Car has sat for quite a while, still has all the factory hoses on it, had a bird's nest in the driver's side wheel well. How squirrels and field mice haven't eaten it up is beyond me. It's rusted all to hell, such a shame for a low mile car like that, it's been parked under an open car port since it was purchased. Driving the T56 has really fired me up to get the chevelle done though, man it's nice rowing the gears!

Next up is bringing wife's old Tahoe home to replace the front yoke seal. yay.
00 ZR2 Extended cab (8BenZR2/Angus), 4wd, Beater Extraordinaire
98 Habanero 2, 5.3L L33 V8 swap Click for project SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeleton
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
static low 92

Plugs in wagon take me in the 3 hr range if I keep a decent pace, which I usually don't.

And I still would rather pull both headers on my car, than do plugs on a stock Camaro.
static low 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:11 AM   #3
MPETE
SSF Subscriber*
ummm, WHAT?

Not looking forward to the optispark replacement on the Vette when it finally goes.
Fortunately the plugs and wires were done not all that long ago.
1992 Corvette LT1/auto --Slim
MPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #4
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

I did the plugs on a '98 Firebird with the 3.8 V6 years ago. I swear the exhaust manifolds went over the top of the plugs and then back down and out the back. Took us 6hrs or something stupid to change all 6 plugs, and we had to go in from the bottom to get to them. What a giant PIA. I don't envy you at all sir.
2kwik4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #5
pixelmonkey
i need SUMMER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik4u View Post
I did the plugs on a '98 Firebird with the 3.8 V6 years ago. I swear the exhaust manifolds went over the top of the plugs and then back down and out the back. Took us 6hrs or something stupid to change all 6 plugs, and we had to go in from the bottom to get to them. What a giant PIA. I don't envy you at all sir.
just brought back a memory of college!

bought, to flip, a 99 firebird with the same motor. did basic maintenance and went to change the plugs... well, the rear plugs were NOT changed when it left me.

chris<pixelmonkey>
Old 11-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #6
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

I don't want to admit how long it took me to get the plugs done.. This just fortified my mindset of owning camaro/corvette drivetrains vs the whole vehicle..

Replaced the front axle pinion seal on the wife's old burgundy tahoe. First time around I couldn't get the yoke off for the life of me, had to order a yoke puller, thing worked like a charm.

Then ventured into a dark corner of my field that I never messed with before and helped a neighbor get an old 70's Ford 4000 3 cyl diesel tractor running. First time I really messed with diesel besides changing oil. Learned a lot and there's really not much to them..
00 ZR2 Extended cab (8BenZR2/Angus), 4wd, Beater Extraordinaire
98 Habanero 2, 5.3L L33 V8 swap Click for project SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeleton
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote