S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > Member Section > Member Projects

Old 03-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #711
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Forgot to post this, repaired most of broken pieces of my dash. Fired up the harbor frieght plastic welder and went to town. Cleaned the plastic and used pieces I'd cut off previously to melt everything back together. The "welder" got hot and I thought it was overdoing itself a hair. Only dark space in the garage was a wheel well so I stuck it in there and was shocked. The damn shank was glowing as bright as the power led!

Did a bit of driving yesterday. I'm not feeling the sound with the tailpipes at all. Quoting the "kids", it's clapping, and they're all about the clap now. My nephew has an 07 F150 that he straightpiped, it sounds like that. Sh!t. Not very appealing. The guttural deep gut sound from hell is gone, been replaced with the sound of glasspackish noise. The taipipes do a great job of keeping the exhaust out of the passenger compartment, has quieted it down a bit inside, but that sound has got to go. Going to have to hunt for mufflers or just put the turn downs back on. I still have to trim the tips down, hoping that changes the sound but seriously doubt it'll help much.

Oh and that huge breeze I had coming through the firewall? All that work and nope. Still there. Lol, it's the trans tunnel welds, never seam sealed it. Hoping to do that tonight.

Had a modded GTI messing with us on the way home, I ignored him for the most part because my daughter was eating lunch. Got closer to home and came up to a stoplight. Took off easy and the guy paced me, got into second where I knew I had traction so I upped the rpms to see if he would bite, he took off so I just let it eat. Ol girl wound out clean and clear, chirped third at their window as I went by, then was well into 4th and had bus lengths, used my blinker to get into his lane to pass a law abiding driver, was on the brakes, got back into my lane and the dude came screaming past me, guess I lost.
64 Chevelle Malibu crew cab, 6.0L LQ4 / T56 V8 swap Click for project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeleton
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #712
static low 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
dude came screaming past me, guess I lost.
Dickbeaters and their ricer flybys....

Can't handle the embarrassment
static low 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:35 AM   #713
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by static low 92 View Post
Dickbeaters and their ricer flybys....

Can't handle the embarrassment
Lol, exactly, I could literally smell my brakes by the time he came by us if that says anything.
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 03-12-2019, 10:18 PM   #714
MPETE
SSF Subscriber*
ummm, WHAT?

I know EXACTLY what clapping sound you're talking about. The newer 5.0 and the older 4.6's both seemed to have the "clapping" exhaust sound even with stock exhaust. Fortunately my 6.2 doesn't seem to have that sound.
Soooooo how long before that exhaust money is dumped in the trash?
1992 Corvette LT1/auto --Slim
MPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:31 AM   #715
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Lol, might be soon. Drove it in this morning and had my gearhead cohort here come out and listen to it. He says it's more roadster / 32 fordish fitting than a muscle car. Might be the exhaust is too big and I'm getting resonance in the piping or something. Still haven't trimmed the tips, damn things look like curb feelers. I haven't looked over my log, but I think I fixed the lean/rich condition when the ECM is looking for the rear o2s.

What sucks is the sound hits that tone/rasp/bark/clap right around 2500 under light load, which is where it's normally going through when I run the gears. Under heavy throttle it doesn't sound bad, almost flowmasterish, but light load you'd be looking for an old farmer's ford pickup with glasspacks. Just weird getting that sound from too large an exhaust, usually it's more mellow with no.. cackle? Might be that it's too close to the ground too, hopefully have time tonight to address the tips.

The summitracing turbo mufflers that are on there are probably restrictive, it's the normal S type setup, exhaust comes in, hits a flat wall, has to do a 180, hit's another wall, 180, then exits. I'm leaning towards getting a set of magnaflows for it, but honestly can't dump a ton of money into testing mufflers. Short game will be sliding the turndowns back in.

Here's the video I made when my buddy helped me get the pipes on. Car was cold and was burning the shipping oil off the tailpipes, so there's a lot of smoke. You can hear the rasp though.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DJ...jWCBGkYpRM8trz

You might have to download a copy of it, sorry for the size. (old turndowns are to the bottom left of the screen)
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 03-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #716
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Tailpipes have killed this car's vibe as much as turn downs were killing hearing/brain cells. It's really not pleasant to listen to anymore.

https://youtu.be/cfjmXaL37TE
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 03-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #717
MPETE
SSF Subscriber*
ummm, WHAT?

dang man. That sucks that you dislike it so much. At idle I don't hate it, but more because of the cam lope than the tone. Driving you're right. It has a definite glasspack "clap". I'm guessing the restriction isn't a big deal, so why not go with a flowmaster knock-off.
I have a thrush welded and it sounds IDENTICAL to a flow 40. Cost me like 35-40 bux from advance auto. It's not what I "want" but it was cheap and doesn't sound bad.
1992 Corvette LT1/auto --Slim
MPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #718
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Thanks Mark. Think I'm putting the turn downs back on and saving for magnaflows like I had on the blazer. I saw the mufflers you have was curious about them.
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 03-18-2019, 10:37 AM   #719
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Thanks Mark. Think I'm putting the turn downs back on and saving for magnaflows like I had on the blazer. I saw the mufflers you have was curious about them.
I have never been disappointed with MagnaFlows. Ran them on a couple machines and they are always nice and mellow and smooth until you really get on it. Great daily driver product IMO.
2kwik4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:25 AM   #720
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

I've liked them too, buuuutttt... Kinda looking at the summit racing turbo / stainless mufflers. They're on sale so it's not as big of a hit, checking to see where they're manufactured before I pull the trigger.
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton