S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > General Non S-Series Stuff > Off Topic

Old 02-25-2019, 09:16 PM   #11
MPETE
SSF Subscriber*
ummm, WHAT?

WOW. Just wow. Sorry to hear. I'm not really sure what all this means and I hope it's just a temporary thing. But, no matter what, I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Stay strong Brotha!!!
1992 Corvette LT1/auto --Slim
MPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:10 PM   #12
IntheBatCave
SSF Subscriber*
Needs a new avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPETE View Post
WOW. Just wow. Sorry to hear. I'm not really sure what all this means and I hope it's just a temporary thing. But, no matter what, I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Stay strong Brotha!!!
Thanks, I'm still not sure what this means long term either. In the terms of small victories though, my numbers were at 102k this morning, so that's a plus, that's the highest they've been yet.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:47 PM   #13
IntheBatCave
SSF Subscriber*
Needs a new avatar

Distractions

I finished up installed a new 50amp circuit at my house today, since the outlet is on the side of my house rather than in the garage, I had to pick up a $$$ GFI breaker, but I'd rather be safe than dead!

Everything went smooth. Except of the obligatory little pain in the a$$ thing that comes up on even the smallest of projects. Thankfully I live less than five minutes from a home depot, and I was able to continue on relatively quickly.

I wasn't planning on getting one at the time but Home Depot happened to send me a 10% coupon, so I picked up a Lincoln Electric auto dimming helmet, it had pretty good reviews, so I figured why not, but I kept the receipt just in case.

The welder I was going to pickup at Maine Oxy was sold last week, so they ordered me another and it should be here early this week.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:16 AM   #14
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

You'll be surprised at how quick you burn through those bottles. Welding is fun but unfortunately costs to play.

Your install looks great man, can't wait to see your progress!

I have a ton of things I want to do with metal but can't find time any more.
64 Chevelle Malibu crew cab, 6.0L LQ4 / T56 V8 swap Click for project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeleton
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:34 PM   #15
IntheBatCave
SSF Subscriber*
Needs a new avatar

Hopefully, I won't burn through them to quick if I remember to turn the gas off. I honestly didn't know what to expect for pricing on the gas or the tanks. I think the tanks were $130 each and the argon was $35 and the mix was $40. One nice thing that I found out from the manger at Maine Oxy, was that if I want bigger tanks down the road, I can exchange them and just pay the difference.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #16
IntheBatCave
SSF Subscriber*
Needs a new avatar

A couple small updates, this past week my platelet numbers have been stable at low 10mg prednisone dose, it was 42, on Monday, and 43, on Thursday. Since staying on a steroid long term can do all sorts of bad things like osteoporosis, and something called "round face" syndrome, which frankly scared the crap out of me. Basically when your one it for long time, it can soften your bones to the point where your skull can change shape! So yeah, I'd be happy to stop the prednisone as soon as possible. My hematologist is starting me on a drug called Retuxin or Retuximab, which is used for a bunch of different things including cancer treatments. But for me they are using because it a B-cell inhibitor which will temporarily suppress my immune system. Thank god my wife was there for the appointment where we discussed the treatment, because a lot of it just went in one ear and out the other. But what I got out of it,is that it sounds like it is going to do the first step of IT troubleshooting and turn my immune system off and on again .

Unfortunately, I have to get this drug intravenously through an infusion. My first round is on Tuesday, and it is going to take 5 to 6 hours for the first treatment. While uncommon, the drug can have some pretty sever side affects, so they need to administer it very slowly, and if everything goes well, they can speed up each additional time. I'll have to go for these treatments once a week for four consecutive weeks. They are hoping by the third visit my numbers will start to increase, and I'll be able to taper off the prednisone. It sounds like there is a pretty high success rate with this treatment, where patients see increased platelet numbers. But it's all over the place with how well people actually respond. I may not get up into normal ranges, and just get high enough that it's not dangerous and I don't need the steroids anymore. I may also only need just this one course of treatments, or this might be something I need to do every six months to a year, we are just going to have to monitor things moving forward and see.

On a side note, I picked up my welder yesterday afternoon. I ran out of daylight and it was about 7 degrees when I finally came inside. I basically only got to unbox everything and put it together. I did get use the MIG on some 3" 14 gauge EMT scraps a grabbed before leaving work. ( I did grind off the zinc before welding) I think it is basically the same gauge as exhaust tubing. I only got to use it for a few minutes, long enough to know what I already knew, I'm going to need a lot of practice. I was using .030 wire, and I think it would probably be easier with .023. I couldn't move the gun fast enough to be able to do it in one continuous weld, not to mention I blew threw it a couple of times. I probably should have waited until today to use it, but it was a new toy and it felt like christmas.

I ended up getting a Miller Multimatic 220, it is way more welder than I originally planned on getting. But everyone told me to go with the biggest I thought I would ever need and could afford, and to get a name brand. It was a toss up between this and a similar Esab. The Esab was a little cheaper, but I felt Miller was better known brand and it will be easier to get serviced if I ever need to, the other deciding factor was the Miller has two separate gas hooks up, one for MIG one for TIG, so I won't need to switch tanks.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:16 AM   #17
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Man sorry to hear about the health. Remember me mentioning using the recorder on your phone? Definitely comes in handy. I've been drowned in Dr speak for hours in a day.. It's nice to be able to review, take notes, research, and ask questions.

You got a nice welder! When I first started I thought you were supposed to do long continuous beads like on tv.. Nope. If you blow through, stop, wait for the cherry to dull, then strike off and continue. Instead of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzztttttttttt it should sound like zzzzttt..........zzzzztttttt.......zzzztttttt. If that makes sense? I had to learn to slow my pace and watch the metal more instead of pulling the trigger and rolling. Especially on working with thinner metals or rusted pieces. Thicker metals you can do continuous but thinner doesn't dissipate heat as well.
64 Chevelle Malibu crew cab, 6.0L LQ4 / T56 V8 swap Click for project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeleton
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #18
IntheBatCave
SSF Subscriber*
Needs a new avatar

I had my first infusion today, thank fully no issue and it went a bit quicker than I expected. I was thinking six hours, and the infusion itself went a little over four hours.

Since there was still plenty of daylight left after I got home and walked the dogs, I decided to get a little welding practice in. I took this home from work, it is a spreader for a plumbers tripod, the hinge on one side bound up, and from people trying to force it over and over again it ended up cracking.

I TIG welded it, I don't know if MIG would have been better, but TIG feels more natural to me with an HVAC background and brazing refrigerant lines. I only used filled on maybe half of it. It's definitely perfect, but I don't think I did too bad for my second time picking a TIG torch.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:12 PM   #19
MPETE
SSF Subscriber*
ummm, WHAT?

So glad to hear the first treatment went better than expected. Fingers crossed the whole scenario gets better from here.
1992 Corvette LT1/auto --Slim
MPETE is offline   Reply With Quote