S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > Engine Performance & Maintenance > 4-cyl Performance

Old 08-13-2003, 10:50 AM   #11
Spoolin

I understand what you are saying about the exhaust but simply expanding your exhaust to a 3in Turbo back solves that problem or you can go with a External wastegate with will kill 2 birds with one stone it will allow you to run smaller exhaust because it is basically a second exhaust and it will eliminate boost creepalso increase the life of your turbo because it will release the excess pressure that gets backed up and left behind.

With a bigger turbo you might need to cool it better but actually the intercooler in the kit should be more than enough to cool the amount of boost you run with a 20G. Ok the turbo sucks the air through the intake it around through the intercooler where it is cooled before entering the motor and then through the turbo and out the exhaust.

And for blades basically to make it easier to understand take say a floor fan you know like you have around the house to keep your house cool. Any way you take a little fan and turn it on high it speeds up real quick and slowly cools down the house or slowly or in turbos makes less power. If you take a big huge fan and turn it on high it takes longer to get going but when it hits full speed or full boost it gets the job done and then some.

All in all the turbo for these trucks would be the 16G. A 20 G is to bigand a 14B is to small to get any real gains but unless you want to build your motor go with a 16G which can be ported and cliped to your likeing.

Last edited by Spoolin; 08-13-2003 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:28 AM   #12
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Spoolin
I understand what you are saying about the exhaust but simply expanding your exhaust to a 3in Turbo back solves that problem or you can go with a External wastegate with will kill 2 birds with one stone it will allow you to run smaller exhaust because it is basically a second exhaust and it will eliminate boost creepalso increase the life of your turbo because it will release the excess pressure that gets backed up and left behind.
Kinda of...An external shoudl still dump into the rest of the exhaust.

A wastegate simply allows exhaust to BYPASS the turbo. if exhaust gas is by passing then you won't build boost, so it effectively controls boost. THe bigger the wastegate, the more it can flow, the better boost control will be.

Quote:
With a bigger turbo you might need to cool it better but actually the intercooler in the kit should be more than enough to cool the amount of boost you run with a 20G. Ok the turbo sucks the air through the intake it around through the intercooler where it is cooled before entering the motor and then through the turbo and out the exhaust.
Really the turbo only sucks air through a small amount of tubing, and then pressurizes it, shooting it through the intercooler and into the motor. What would be the point of an intercooler if you pressurized it and added heat AFTER the intercooler.

Quote:
And for blades basically to make it easier to understand take say a floor fan you know like you have around the house to keep your house cool. Any way you take a little fan and turn it on high it speeds up real quick and slowly cools down the house or slowly or in turbos makes less power. If you take a big huge fan and turn it on high it takes longer to get going but when it hits full speed or full boost it gets the job done and then some.
This analogy KIND OF works, but really it isn't the same. You can put a smaller exhaust housing on a turbo and tune it a little lean on the bottom end and it will spool great. Even if it is a big turbo.

Quote:
All in all the turbo for these trucks would be the 16G. A 20 G is to bigand a 14B is to small to get any real gains but unless you want to build your motor go with a 16G which can be ported and cliped to your likeing.
YES
2kwik4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 12:29 PM   #13
Spoolin

The amount of air being sucked in also depends on the size of your compressor wheel. And as for the intercooler which is important basically the intercooler cooling the pressure being flown through the motor. OK here take your truck to the track and let it warm up ok then run it say 7-8 times down the quarter after about the fifth time your car goes down the track your car will run slower because it is heat soaked which with the knowledge you have you already know so with the intercooler cooling the air it delays the heatsoak because your not just flowing overly high EG through the motor with the intercooler you will run more efficiant boost pressure because it is colder but you know that I am just stateing how important the intercooler is.

As far as the Wastegate I was not talking an exhaust dump I was talking about a external dump which of course is not exactly legal but sometimes their are prices you have to pay for performance. And the noise from the external is very intimidateing. Sorry about that last sentence just saying something the ricers might apeal to.

And as for all your comments you must have some experience with turbo vehicles or have definetly done your homework because I have not had a discussion like this in a long time. I would like to talk more about this subject. Oh yea and you need to hurry up and get a turbo on your truck because with your knowledge you will have a fast S-10 just curious do you have a 2.2 or what. If so I might have some competition in the future but I have the same dilema as you -----FUNDING-----
Old 08-13-2003, 02:23 PM   #14
wot_racing
SSF Subscriber*
Nice doggy!

[edit by moderator] 2kwik4u knows his shiot about the turbos, [edit by moderator]
wot_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 02:43 PM   #15
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

OK shaun, be nice to the newbie.....

Yes I have done my homework, and I have been around a *few* turbo vehicles :grin:

I currently run a '00 2.2 Xtreme...no plans for a turbo on that truck ever. $$ to HP ratio just isn't there in my opinion (although I still think it would be a focking cool project). Current plan is to get another older more boosted S-series :grin X2:

mikey
Old 08-13-2003, 03:02 PM   #16
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spoolin
The amount of air being sucked in also depends on the size of your compressor wheel. And as for the intercooler which is important basically the intercooler cooling the pressure being flown through the motor. [quote]

Yes, the cold side of the turbo determines the amount of air that is "sucked" into the turbo. However, a Turbo is a positive feedback system. The more boost you make, the more exhaust you make which in turn makes more boost...You get the idea. Yes the intercooler is very important. IMO it is the #1 preventitive measure against knock (or predetonation for you tech junkies reading )

Quote:
OK here take your truck to the track and let it warm up ok then run it say 7-8 times down the quarter after about the fifth time your car goes down the track your car will run slower because it is heat soaked which with the knowledge you have you already know so with the intercooler cooling the air it delays the heatsoak because your not just flowing overly high EG through the motor with the intercooler you will run more efficiant boost pressure because it is colder but you know that I am just stateing how important the intercooler is.
Heat soak has little to do with the intercooler. It will heat soak as well. Some resist more than others...water-air intercooler have a tenency to heat soak pretty bad, while A2A's typically do not, but can, depending on mounting location.

Not sure what you are talking about EG...Exhaust Gas?? If so this is not flown through any more of the motor than the heads and the exhaust manifold, then through the turbo, adn out the back...that stuff never flows "through" the motor.

Quote:
As far as the Wastegate I was not talking an exhaust dump I was talking about a external dump which of course is not exactly legal but sometimes their are prices you have to pay for performance. And the noise from the external is very intimidateing. Sorry about that last sentence just saying something the ricers might apeal to.
You realize that a wastegate that does not flow back into the exhaust stream is essentially a very sophisticated (and well placed) exhaust dump valve

Quote:
And as for all your comments you must have some experience with turbo vehicles or have definetly done your homework because I have not had a discussion like this in a long time. I would like to talk more about this subject. Oh yea and you need to hurry up and get a turbo on your truck because with your knowledge you will have a fast S-10 just curious do you have a 2.2 or what. If so I might have some competition in the future but I have the same dilema as you -----FUNDING-----
See above post
Old 08-13-2003, 09:54 PM   #17
Spoolin

[edit by moderator]
Old 08-14-2003, 12:28 AM   #18
wot_racing
SSF Subscriber*
Nice doggy!

[edit by moderator]
wot_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 05:34 AM   #19
BlaZR2
SSF Subscriber*
non s-truck member

Man, this thread turned ugly!
Old 08-14-2003, 05:48 AM   #20
mkgearhead
Super Moderator
Torque moves me.

Quote:
Originally posted by blades
Man, this thread turned ugly!
You said it right.

Can we all try to get along? Remember this is the tech section....

FWIW, I bought a couple books on boost. Helped 'splain a few things to me, now all I need is some cash and time.

Oh yeah, the books I got are "Maximum boost" by Corky Bell- Very good info, some limited fuel injection info.

And Hp books "Turbochargers" by Hugh MacInnes - a little outdated, has a lot of carb info in it.

'91 Z70 Bravada lowered 4" 350 Vortec w/TBI, TCI-700r4, KYB's, 9C1 cop car steering gear, rear sway bar, yada yada...
'05 Subaru Legacy wagon (wife's daily)
'04 Subaru Forester XT EJ255 turbo, TBE, lowered 1.5" w/springs
'02 K2500HD single cab 6.0 4L80E 8' plow sander/spreader
Case 580K 4x4 w/chains, 10' power angle plow

To help support this site with a donation click here
My cardomain site
Quote:
"The spirit of resistance to government
is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it to be always kept alive.
It will often be exercised when wrong,
but better so than not to be exercised at all.
I like a little rebellion now and then." -Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
mkgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote