S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > Engine Performance & Maintenance > 4-cyl Performance

Old 07-07-2004, 09:24 PM   #41
Park Style
Subscribed Moderator
OLD SKOOL :SSF:

yeah i follow you there.... i jus dont feel like voiding my warrenty........ ill chip it instead
1993 Chevy S-10 Ext Cab 4X4 Project: A Good Run Of Bad Luck- UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!!

R.I.P. David "Loenuff" Swanson 11/20/66 - 11/05/07
R.I.P. Jason "Tool" Morris 04/24/83 - 06/26/08
Park Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:07 PM   #42
95 lows-10 ri

I really don't think this would void your warranty cuz there is no way of knowing someone has done this unless you tell them. If you decide to sell it or have work done to it at the dealership, its just a matter of using a solderless connector and put the two wires back together.... or better yet, do what I did and throw a V8 in tehre then you won't have anything to worry about any more...lol
95 lows-10 ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:18 PM   #43
ZQ8Wannbe

Hey I unpluged the vss on my 95 and its on the drivers side and it still cuts out, whats up with that?
ZQ8Wannbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 05:07 PM   #44
95 lows-10 ri

did you unplug the correct plug... there are two down there, one for the vss and the other for your backup lights... if you unplugged it and you have no speedometer, then it should work - by the way, this only works on the 5 speed tranny's not the auto's.

Last edited by 95 lows-10 ri; 09-09-2004 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:51 PM   #45
Dr. Nate
SSF Subscriber*
The Dr. is in...

I see no real need in unplugging it. The 2.2L isn't that strong of a motor and takes a lot of steam to get up to 90 mph. If you remove the wire and some how manage to get into an accident your pretty much screwed, even if it came out because they can measure your skid marks, the amount of damage, and a few other factors to determine a rather good guess as to how fast you were going.

As far as the speedo, trip od, and regular od, I could care less what they say. The truth is, I wouldn't buy a used S-Series because 9 times out of 10, most of them were either work trucks, been ragged out, or have a good chance of being wrecked.

There is no way for the computer to know how many miles are on there with this sensor unplugged. There isn't a back up, because if there was, don't you think it would be hooked up to the speedo?

I don't know if it will log the "error" in the computer or not, but if it does, you might be able to get away with it for a few times before someone with half a brain figures out that it didn't really break that many times.

If you are able to achieve an acceleration that warrants you hitting more than 90 mph in the 1/4 mile in a 2.2L, then by all means unplug it, because mroe then likely, you'll be putting a bigger motor in soon. Otherwise, is there really a point to taking five minutes to hit speeds above 100?

BTW: A stock 2.2L at stock height is really unstable at those speeds.
H.A.S.T.E.
2016 Ford F150
2011 BMW 328i ~ Sold
2007 Chevrolet Silverado ~ Sold
2003 Chevrolet Xtreme~ Sold

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, & 2009 S-Series Nationals
RIP Dave
Dr. Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 11:41 AM   #46
95 lows-10 ri

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeNate
yes, they do tend to "float" a bit at those speeds...

Last edited by 95 lows-10 ri; 09-30-2005 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:24 PM   #47
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

Quote:
I see no real need in unplugging it. The 2.2L isn't that strong of a motor and takes a lot of steam to get up to 90 mph. If you remove the wire and some how manage to get into an accident your pretty much screwed, even if it came out because they can measure your skid marks, the amount of damage, and a few other factors to determine a rather good guess as to how fast you were going.
As if you wouldn't be screwed with the wire plugged in?!?!?!?

Quote:
As far as the speedo, trip od, and regular od, I could care less what they say. The truth is, I wouldn't buy a used S-Series because 9 times out of 10, most of them were either work trucks, been ragged out, or have a good chance of being wrecked.
WTF does this have to do with anything else in this thread?

Quote:
There is no way for the computer to know how many miles are on there with this sensor unplugged. There isn't a back up, because if there was, don't you think it would be hooked up to the speedo?

I don't know if it will log the "error" in the computer or not, but if it does, you might be able to get away with it for a few times before someone with half a brain figures out that it didn't really break that many times.
You do realize there are way to clear codes without going to the dealership right?

Quote:
If you are able to achieve an acceleration that warrants you hitting more than 90 mph in the 1/4 mile in a 2.2L, then by all means unplug it, because mroe then likely, you'll be putting a bigger motor in soon. Otherwise, is there really a point to taking five minutes to hit speeds above 100?

How do you know that a stock 2.2L is unstable at those speeds, since you don't really see the need in removing the limiter. Or are you somehow assuming that the 4.3 trucks with a HPP3 are somehow more stable at higher speeds. Pretty ignorant comment IMO.

And yes there is a point to taking the 5 minutes to go about 100mph....Because I want to. Not because it's smart, or responisble, or safe....because I want to, and if someone else wants too then thats what the info is here for.
2kwik4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 01:55 PM   #48
The Rod
Subscribed Moderator
Its NOT a Lowrider!

Quote:
I see no real need in unplugging it. The 2.2L isn't that strong of a motor and takes a lot of steam to get up to 90 mph. If you are able to achieve an acceleration that warrants you hitting more than 90 mph in the 1/4 mile in a 2.2L, then by all means unplug it, because mroe then likely, you'll be putting a bigger motor in soon. Otherwise, is there really a point to taking five minutes to hit speeds above 100?

long time ago (about 2-3 years) a user here by the name of SonomaPilot (if i remember correctly he wanted this post sticky'd) has done this several times and with an onboard Magellan GPS had his 2.2 up over 120mph...and all he had was intake and exhaust.

and BTW...how many 2.2 owners on this site actually keep them stock height? I mean, they all want to at least look good and handle good.

new truck Trick Motorsports
The Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 02:03 PM   #49
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

Speaking of Mike.....any idea where he has been lately/??!?!?! Seems like he dropped off hte face of the board
2kwik4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 12:11 AM   #50
Dr. Nate
SSF Subscriber*
The Dr. is in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik4u
As if you wouldn't be screwed with the wire plugged in?!?!?!?
Makes a difference in weather or not you can be charged with murder. There have been several cases in Texas in which someone has been charged with murder because they have altered their car/truck in an unsafe way.

Quote:
WTF does this have to do with anything else in this thread?
If you happen to read the entire thread, you'd notice that there was some talk about the ability to resale the truck and it's value.

Quote:
You do realize there are way to clear codes without going to the dealership right?
Yes, and I also don't write replies that are aimed at just one person usually. There are boat loads of people that don't know they can do that, don't know how they can do that, and maybe don't feel like doing that.

Quote:
How do you know that a stock 2.2L is unstable at those speeds, since you don't really see the need in removing the limiter. Or are you somehow assuming that the 4.3 trucks with a HPP3 are somehow more stable at higher speeds. Pretty ignorant comment IMO.
We were talking about 2.2L, it was the motor that was the included the in the topic. I'm sure if it was about 4.3L I would have said the same thing, that they aren't stable at those kinds of speeds.

I also know, because I investigate accidents and study how they happened, what could have prevented it, and all of the other "what ifs" that go along with it. There is no way that a stock S-10 is stable at those kinds of speed. There is very little weight in the rear, not to mention that the trucks aren't designed to be driven that fast. The suspension componets on most of them aren't built for handling that fast. Last but not least, there are a lot of people that run inexpensive tires on their trucks. Tires that aren't rated for speeds that fast.

So I didn't assume anything, you were the one that did. So I do believe that would make your comments pretty ignorant as you put it.

Quote:
And yes there is a point to taking the 5 minutes to go about 100mph....Because I want to. Not because it's smart, or responisble, or safe....because I want to, and if someone else wants too then thats what the info is here for.
I would love for you to tell a judge and jury that statement. The open road isn't built for people that lack a desire for their own safty and those around them. When you go to the track, you and everyone else there make a decision to enter that track. You and everyone else are well aware of what is going to happen, what could happen, and that death can occur.

People that drive down the freeway expect that they are to travel with other safe drivers. Not some fool in an S-10 driving so fast he doesn't even know. As far as I know, the S-10's airbags deployment force isn't calculated based upon speed. So they deploy at the same force rather your going 50 or 70. That could change, with out many of us knowing. Heck, the they could be, I don't know if they are operated that way. I know many of the major brands have gone that route.

Airbags also aren't that effective at saving your life in speeds greater than 80 mph. It isn't so much that you might live, you have to think about the lives of the people that you hit. All it takes is for one slick spot of oil to cause you to lose control.

I believe the info here is for people that are wanting to do this on the track, in a safe manor, not on the open road. If it was here for the open road, then I'm sure that S-SeriesForum.com wouldn't want the liability that comes with that. All it takes is for some 16 year old to say some guy on this website named 2Kwik4u told me how to go faster than 100 mph. They will sue, even if they don't get anything, people will do it.

So next time you inch up above that 100 mph mark, remember that if you hit someone, it is someone like me that has to cut your dead body out of the car and deal with the stress of saving your sorry life. People like me that have to tell parents that their child is DOS because some fool plowed into them after he lost control.

The VSS is a safty measure, it is there for a reason. Grow up some before you kill someone.
H.A.S.T.E.
2016 Ford F150
2011 BMW 328i ~ Sold
2007 Chevrolet Silverado ~ Sold
2003 Chevrolet Xtreme~ Sold

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, & 2009 S-Series Nationals
RIP Dave
Dr. Nate is offline   Reply With Quote