S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > Member Section > Member Projects

Old 07-26-2019, 07:43 AM   #811
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik4u View Post
At least they make it relatively easy to remove/replace the engine?!?!?!

Front of the car is missing??
64 Chevelle Malibu crew cab, 6.0L LQ4 / T56 V8 swap Click for project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeleton
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:33 AM   #812
static low 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post

Front of the car is missing??
My thoughts exactly.
static low 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:01 PM   #813
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

Quote:

Hilarious Hotwire Post
Yea, the whole front is missing. However you see those bolts on the subframe there, they allow the whole core support to come off as an assembly and be set aside. Much easier to yank the motor without having to try and lift it up/over the core support.

I'll work on that Audi setup 101 times before I ever volunteer to help swap an engine/transmission in a Syclone again.
2kwik4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:16 AM   #814
TerribleTrux
Love,Peace&Chicken Grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik4u View Post
Yea, the whole front is missing. However you see those bolts on the subframe there, they allow the whole core support to come off as an assembly and be set aside. Much easier to yank the motor without having to try and lift it up/over the core support.

I'll work on that Audi setup 101 times before I ever volunteer to help swap an engine/transmission in a Syclone again.
VW/Audi group vehicles are easy to work on. Germans make over complex engines & drive lines, but their stuff is easy to take apart.

On this '06, the bumper cover comes off with 4 screws. Bumper is attached to the frame with 8 bolts, which also holds on the core support. Headlights, grill, radiator, fan, inter-cooler & plumbing all come off in one piece.
99' S-10 Summer driver, 4.3, Auto, Xtreme rims. Thred
TerribleTrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:24 PM   #815
HectorM52
SSF Subscriber*
18x8 & 18x10 Boost

I never liked "kraut" on my American hot dogs. Need some more muscle car back in here!!
Old 08-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #816
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HectorM52 View Post
I never liked "kraut" on my American hot dogs. Need some more muscle car back in here!!
Agreed.

Went out to dinner the other night, daughters wanted to ride in the Chevelle, so who was I to say no. Both had their phones out and told me to roll. Of course they were both doing snapchat videos, so enjoy 8 seconds. Got up to around 80 mph, oncoming traffic and curve ahead, so I let out of it. The way the sound of the car backs down on the bridge, damn thing sounds like Eleanor.

https://youtu.be/luNpCSqB07s

Other than that, no updates. Just putting miles on it and trying to figure out a way to keep it clean without using a hose. Rust is popping up everywhere under the paint and the trunk is getting ready to shed it's skin like a damn iguana. Went and looked at another set of rims that were "guaranteed" to fit, again, didn't fit, and again, had to drive through rain to get home.
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 09-24-2019, 08:12 AM   #817
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Getting pre-trip jitters thinking about driving out to Kodiak, TN. (270 miles, little over 4 hours) Knock on wood car has been extremely solid, not sure why I'm getting bent out of shape. Only problem to report was an exhaust leak from where I swapped mufflers..

Going through checking all connections, joints, bolts / nuts, etc. Doing piddly stuff that has been on the list for a long time, just hasn't been a problem. Cleaning up old buffing compound that PO left and has turned to concrete in hard to reach spots (look at hood edge in steering wheel pic), pulled PS pulley and alt pulley, blasted and painted, finally painted brake master cylinder, ground down some welds, etc. Last on the list is wash, wax, and clean what interior I have.

Even though I haven't had any truly visible tire wear the car has ALWAYS pulled to the left. Always felt like a mechanical pull more than an alignment pull if that makes sense? Pulled the pitman arm to see if I installed it off center, it's keyed in 4 places, nope. Everything in the front end is new, all tight, greased, etc. Went through the paces and saw that I had 1.25 turns to the right and 1.75 turns to the left. Guess I didn't have the steering box centered when installing the steering shaft. The shaft is solid, had to pull the steering box off the frame, center up shaft, then reinstall. Not the hardest in the world, but not a lot of fun. Now box and wheel are centered, but tires were pointing to right. Had to turn the tie rod adjusters 3 full turns to hopefully get everything centered up. So this whole time driving the car around I've been fighting the steering box trying to go back to center. Dumbazz.

Had a little time left over so I pulled the plugs to do a once over health check. Damn thing is burning cleaner than I thought, was wondering about the junkyard injectors I had in there. Looked down each insulator looking for aluminum as I was worried I was running on the edge of detonation with my tune. All of them are clean.

Only noticeable thing was "fuzz" on the electrodes, 9,700 miles on swap so far. Not sure if that's from all the fuel fragrance I've ran through it or little bit of blowby on hard RPM decel trying to scrub speed.. I'm overall happy with everything, cracked #7 plug reinstalling so will have to pick one up then take the car down the road to check alignment, after that it's packing, and heading west. If you're wondering I'm running ac delco R44LTSM plugs, platinum tips would get too hot and not allow you full timing for max hp.

Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 09-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #818
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Talking

Forgot to mention, she may be a dirty ol ho, but she still gets me going. I'm not going to state how long I laid there and looked at all that.. :bigpimp

Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 09-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #819
static low 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Forgot to mention, she may be a dirty ol ho, but she still gets me going. I'm not going to state how long I laid there and looked at all that.. :bigpimp

Do you have a small leak that those band clamps? When I had them, I felt like there really was no way for them not to leak because its not 100% around pipe. I was using black exhaust sealer to keep it at bay.
static low 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #820
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by static low 92 View Post
Do you have a small leak that those band clamps? When I had them, I felt like there really was no way for them not to leak because its not 100% around pipe. I was using black exhaust sealer to keep it at bay.
Seldom. We've discussed this before. I run copper RTV along the edges of the grooved block that the bolts go through, where it transitions from clamp to pipe. That's usually the only place I've seen leaks straight out of the box. I use an impact to just knock the hell out of them to get them as tight as they can be.

The leak I mentioned above was on the driver's pipe on muffler inlet. I'm assuming the clamp is stretched (it is a stepped clamp). I fudged it and ran rtv in the normal spot, but also ran a thin band around the pipe and around the muffler inlet. Shoddy work, but it's sealed.. I would burn these in but there loud as hell and I'm sure have some restriction as they're not flow through. Will be replacing with magnaflows at some point and will most likely weld them in. Getting damn tired of my ears ringing every time I drive it.
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton