Old 02-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
Park Style
Subscribed Moderator
OLD SKOOL :SSF:

2WD Lifting info

S-10 2WD lifting facts
All information in this thread is for educational purposes only

Lifting the front
there are two ways you can lift the front of your 2wd S-10.
(1) Spindles come in 3” & 3.5" lifting variations and are available for S-10 pick-ups and pre-98 Blazers (98 and newer Blazers use a different hub and lift spindles will not work) Spindles only change the height of your truck and they do not change the way it rides since you still use your stock coil springs.
With lifting spindles you need to purchase extended brake lines so that you don't pull your brake lines apart leaving you with no brakes. These are usually metal, braided lines for extra durability and a nice look. You do not need longer shocks with spindles however high performance shocks are recommended.

Before I go on I would like to spend a moment on coil spring spacers. Spacers are dangerous to use on an S-10 because the springs are not flat on the ends, but rather the coil wind just kind of stops and a coil spring is made to fit into the lower control arm and spacer on the other hand will not conform to the spring or the lower control arm pocket leaving a large amount of stress on the end of the spring and possibly causing the spring to deform and cause the coil spring to “pop-out” and if you try to use a spacer on the top of the coil spring there is nothing to hold it into place but the weight of the truck. There are people who claim they have used coil spring spacers with no problem and these people have been very fortunate to have not experienced damage to there S-10’s.

(2) Coil Springs is a good way to lift your 2WD S-10, however expect a firm to very stiff ride after installing lifted coil springs. Lifted coil springs come in lengths ranging from 2”-3½” and get their lift from an increased spring rate (most lifted coil springs are only slightly taller then stock springs) I have found that after a lifted coil spring settles (500-1000 miles) you can expect to lose 1/2”-3/4” of lift. Example: a 2” lifted coil spring will only give you 1 Ό” -1 ½” of lift after the coil spring settles.
When using 3"- 3 ½” lifted coil springs you must use lifted upper control arms, this requires cutting the upper control arm mounts and welding upper control arm gussets in place to help with alignment ability and wear on suspension components. The problem with lifting with 3” -3 ½” lifted coil springs is that it puts higher angle on your ball-joints which may cause premature ball-joint wear. There are different methods that can be used to help lessen or slow the wear on your ball-joints. One is to re-mount the ball-joint to the so that the top surface of the ball-joint bolts to the lower surface to the upper control arm (sometimes called flipping the ball-joint) another method is ball-joint spacers, ball-joint spacers should only be used in extreme cases to correct severe ball-joint angles.
3” - 3 ½” lifted coil springs are often very stiff and I’ve even seen upper control arm mounts tear apart at the weld because the coil springs were so stiff (this happened to me and others)
I personally don’t recommend using 3” -3 ½” lifted coil springs and upper control arms to lift a 2WD S-10 because I’ve never seen a case were there was not some kind of problem or another when using this method to lift an S-10. Long Travel kits (upper and lower control arms) on the other hand is something I highly recommend because you correct ball-joint angels and gain extra travel lost when using lifted coil springs. Long Travel kits are often very expensive and installation should be left to the professional.
In my opinion, the best method when using lifted coil springs to lift a 2WD S-10 is to use 2” - 2 ½” lifted coil springs (this will give you 1 Ό” -2” of lift) and flipping the upper ball-joints. This will give a firm (not stiff) ride and you will not be replacing ball-joints every other month.
Lifted coil springs can be used with lifted spindles for even more lift, longer shocks will be needed.

Lifting the Rear
There are 4 ways that you can lift the rear of you S-10
(1) Add-A-Leaf. What these do is basically add another leaf for your leaf pack. They are arched more than you stock leafs so it pulls your leafs into more of an arch...causing the lift. You can achieve 1.5"-2" of lift with these. The positive side to these is if you tow or haul a lot of stuff with your truck because they add to the amount of stuff you can carry in your truck. Downfalls are that they will stiffen the ride in your truck. There are two different of add-a-leaf you can use on your S10, one is the short add-a-leaf that fits above your helper spring and the second is the long add-a-leaf that fits between your first and second spring on your spring pack. (It is said that the long add-a-leaf gives a better ride) longer shocks recommended.

(2) Shackles. These are what connect the rear of your leafs to the frame. To achieve a desired lift you lengthen these twice the amount of lift you want since your lift is found in the center of your leafs but shackles are on the end. Usually shackles are 1.5" because more lift than that and your shackles become scary long. Longer shocks recommended.

(3) Leaf Spring Hangers. These connect to the front of the leaf spring and replace the stock leaf spring hangers and will give your S-10 2 ½” of lift. Some people say it will mess with your driveline angles but it all depends on several factors that vary from truck to truck and longer shocks will be needed.

(4) Axel Flip-Kit. Because S-10 axles are positioned above our leaf springs you can "flip" the axle over to the underside providing 4.5-5" of lift. Once again some people say it will mess with your driveline angles but it all depends on several factors that vary from truck to truck. Shocks may or may not be needed with this depending on the kit you get.

Body Lifts
Lift the cab & body of your S-10 2-3”Body Lifts are the cheapest way to lift your S-10; by lifting the cab & body of your S-10 you gain extra room for bigger tires. Pros of body lifts include stock ride characteristics and a taller stance. Some people don’t like body lifts because the frame is exposed, this can be corrected by installing Nurf Bars and Gap Guards. 2” body lifts are available for 84-04 S-10’s and 3” body lifts are available 84-94 S10’s and one company makes 3” body lifts for S-10’s up to 97 and this kit can be modified to work on late model S-10’s as well.

Summery
The most lift 2wd trucks can get is around 9.5" (spindles, coil springs, control arms and a body lift) which will give you enough room for 33" tires.

Other Notes
2WD S10’s are not a good choice for off-roading or making a pre-runner, but I’ve seen it done. You can drop a S-10 on a K5 frame and run with the full size 4x4’s or you can have some custom fabrication work done a make a descent pre-runner but expect to spend a lot of money.
1993 Chevy S-10 Ext Cab 4X4 Project: A Good Run Of Bad Luck- UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!!

R.I.P. David "Loenuff" Swanson 11/20/66 - 11/05/07
R.I.P. Jason "Tool" Morris 04/24/83 - 06/26/08
Park Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
automan88
SSF Subscriber
Measure twice, cut once.

thanks for all the info man
do you by any chance know where i can get 2 in lifted coils for the front of my truck?
automan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #3
Badass_S10_2002
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by automan88
thanks for all the info man
do you by any chance know where i can get 2 in lifted coils for the front of my truck?
I've got some brand new Moog 5664s...you should get 1.5-2" lift from them..Pm me if you still need some
Badass_S10_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
llWood

Hey bad ass if you still have them post a pic or two of the your truck with the lift and tires......
llWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
Badass_S10_2002
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by llWood
Hey bad ass if you still have them post a pic or two of the your truck with the lift and tires......

Old 01-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
Badass_S10_2002
Renegade

Front in those pics were SPC adj upper arms....Spohn Lowers...Moog 5664s...and fabtech spindles
Rear was stock leaves...load adjusting shocks..I got 2" lift from those
3" bodylift.....245/75/16s out back 235/75/15s up front..I've got 315/75/16s and new zq8s on order
Old 01-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
Badass_S10_2002
Renegade

Long arms..coilovers at stock height..fabtech spindles. full weight on the suspension
Old 01-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
llWood

wow thats pretty crazy looking, will it settle at all when the dog house is put back on??
Old 01-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
Badass_S10_2002
Renegade

Nope she won't sag anymore. I've got the front cranked up pretty high now because of the low spring rate....350s ain't worth anything...I'm looking at atleast 550s..Possibly 650 rate when I swap coilovers this summer
Old 01-02-2008, 08:14 AM   #10
llWood

it does look pretty good though what are your plans for it and racing or just doing it to do it??