S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > General Non S-Series Stuff > Power Sports

Old 04-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
chevy42083
SSF Subscriber
H-A-S-T-E

Joining the 2wheeled sector?

I've had a Banshee for awhile (despite it being in Yamaha's shop for WAY WAY WAY too long, but that's a different story).

I've looked at motorcycles before, then backed out. My brother gave me a little nudge, suggesting what I'd already thought; the bike being a fun toy, then tacked on that it would keep miles off the blazer. Ding. He also said he had some bonus money laying around that he'd throw in for now (no strings attached loan basically).

Backstory, I bought the blazer under a 5 year loan, 5 year/100k mi warranty.... so it would be good till I graduated school. Tons of crap, job issues, etc etc... I'm still in school, blazer has over 115k miles, well out of warranty, and gas creeps higher. And I will NOT drive the Lt1 pickup to school... it's been broken into a couple times there, and the risk is too high. I've looked at what I can afford car wise, and NOTHING out there that i like, especially in my LOW budget. The blazer isn't worth much... KBB "fair" = 2900 and I don't have much cash or want a payment.

Looked at a few bikes, tried to jump on a Gladiu with Suzuki's $1k off new '09s rebate, but still out of price range (the dealers were advertising with the rebate already included). So, Started looking used.

2007 Ninja 650r. 1300miles. Classified as sport touring, fits upright compared to supersport bikes. The bike is NOT perfect. It's been dropped (at low speed, but not a stand still from what I figure). $4400 out the door with a 2yr warranty.

The competition was a showroom condition '09 in the same color. 1050miles. It looks mildly better IMO (09 was a redesign year), supposed to have some rubber dampening for vibration, but no major mechanical differences. It was 4800 out the door, but no warranty possible.

Sat on a couple others, but nothing really did it.
I looked at a Katana, felt like a whale. Huge. Seat felt low, and I could hold it up, but bike in general felt huge. Brother said it looked like the bike swallowed me. Also sat on a Ninja 250r. Honestly, best feeling bike of any I tried... and looked damn good in pearl white. But no way could I deal with the power.

Anyways, welcome....

2007 Ninja 650r
2 things made my decision. 1; I've never owned a bike, I don't know if a warranty is really needed, but I'd feel stupid if I didn't take advantage of it with the miles I hope to rack up. 2; It's my first bike, I'm short/small/light and never ridden before and would feel really stupid if I chose the perfect looking bike then dropped it while parking it. I'd end up paying more, the bike would be scratched also, and it wouldn't have a warranty (separate issues, I know warranty doesn't cover accidents)

So, the '07 will stay scratched up for awhile, and then maybe it'll get a trip to antiflag for a paintjob. The pictures show the bad side... from 15ft, you don't see them, but the scratches are spread around the whole fairing and look bad up close. And if anyone is looking for an NICE '09 for $4800, I can steer you there.

Now I just need a license so I can ride the damn thing (more than my trip around the block). Oh, and some gear. I have none.

p.s. I realize i will NOT save any money by buying a bike. But it seemed the cheapest way i'd be happy and get what I need for transportation for awhile. Blazer when I need it, yet mileage for all the solo trips. Running the numbers, depending on how many days I go to school; the bike saves me between $35 and $55 in gas a week. That's at current $3.50ish a gallon.

Soooo.... Nate, get your ish in order

chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
SonomaZ
Site Sponsor
Red, it's the new red.

Awesome Duane, welcome to the two wheeled world, you'll love it!

That thing looks REALLY sharp in pics despite the low speed drop. Looks like a really nice first bike.
Mine's the same way, except I did it myself.
You know what? It happens. Now I don't feel quite so worried about it now that it's not perfect anymore. I keep it clean and you can't see the damage unless you're right on top of it and looking for it. I'll give it a respray someday...maybe.

Gear up, get legal and enjoy that thing!

Found a link you might find useful.
http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=TX

I still need to take the MSF advanced class...missed it last season.
'03 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura, 2-wheeled Italian mistress

---> Jimmy update pics will go here!! <---

Last edited by SonomaZ; 04-03-2011 at 03:43 PM.
SonomaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Dr. Nate
SSF Subscriber*
The Dr. is in...

Man if I would have been able to start the new job tomorrow I would have been all over that other Ninja.

-Nate
H.A.S.T.E.
2016 Ford F150
2011 BMW 328i ~ Sold
2007 Chevrolet Silverado ~ Sold
2003 Chevrolet Xtreme~ Sold

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, & 2009 S-Series Nationals
RIP Dave
Dr. Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
chevy42083
SSF Subscriber
H-A-S-T-E

Thanks for the link Rich... but I'm already signed up for one on the 16-17th. Then hopefully get off work early on the 18th to get my license.

Pretty confident I could just go take the test and get my license, but I'd much rather have the newbie lessons.My brother has ridden off and on for years, but now owns a ducati and rides regularly. He's never taken a class, so he is joining me.

As far as the scratches, they look really nasty up close, but it's a good 10ft paintjob, 15ft if you're looking for them I work at a print shop, and we do print vehicle wraps.... so maybe I'll play with wrapping the flat part of that panel. I'm generally not happy with the detail work out of the installers...but maybe just cause I'm REALLY picky. I might have them print out large block, and I'll give it a shot myself. Well, it can't to look worse than the scratches, right No idea on design/color at the moment. I have rolls of sticker vynal, but I don't think it'll do the conplex curves.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

The MSF class is awesome! I took it as a 25th birthday present to myself. KY law allows us to skip the skills test for our license with a recent MSF completion card also!

Sharp looking bike, and it sounds like you got a good deal on of too!
2kwik4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
chevy42083
SSF Subscriber
H-A-S-T-E

Playing around with temporary fixes for the scratched fairing.
Teaching myself to "car wrap", cause the installers that work at my shop suck. I'd say my first time touching the stuff I am at the quality that I've seen them put out (these curves are tough).

This was just some scrap material... not the intended pattern. Still not sure what pattern I would use, but pretty much planing on wrapping just this portion of the bike. Though, I still have doubts to it holding on over the edges (back of fairings isn't smooth), and whether it'll start to pull loose with engine heat.

And as with anything, always looking at modding. Kinda want exhaust, 1/2 cause it's too quiet, 1/2 cause i want it to at least be heard by cars while cruising on the freeway. Seems like you have to reprogram it to deal with diff back pressure. I'm thinking the programmer and/or exhaust might cause issues with the warranty. Also, I like the stock exhaust's look... WAY more integrated than any aftermarket. Other's are just a can hanging down.

Last edited by chevy42083; 04-08-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

Is there a shock on the left side of that bike? Can't really tell from the pics, as all we have are right side views, and kinda of a rear right 3/4 shot. If not, thats kinda neat engineering, although I don't understand why they didn't center it.
2kwik4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Print out red vinyl w/ road rash all over it, that way you don't have to worry one bit!

Like the bike man, I REAAHAHAHAHAHAEEEEAAAALLLLYYYY want a bike to ride, besides the mpg, I rode a lot of dirt bikes when I was a kid and am missing it quite bad, can't do offroad due to my back..

It might be too much, but I was going to suggest same pattern you cut (not the bubbles.., the relative size / body lines) and do semi flat black. It'd tie the frame/seat together with the fairing and sort of make the bottom of the fairing look like scoopy.. like a tron bike or something.

crude dipiction of my mental picture..
64 Chevelle Malibu crew cab, 6.0L LQ4 / T56 V8 swap Click for project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeleton
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
chevy42083
SSF Subscriber
H-A-S-T-E

Jeff... that's exactly why I chose to wrap that portion (unfortunately, the top edge isn't a seam, that would make it TONS easier). It flows well, but not sure on design... something dark was the general idea. I have an idea that I'm still debating... kinda goofy... but maybe. I'm not gonna share unless I do it though. I was debating a stripe of silver along the top, thinking it would flow with the frame, but after seeing it wrapped... don't think it would look good at all.

If I'm gonna do plain black... I MIGHT just have antiflag shoot that section. I do think I want that black if i ever do repaint the whole thing.

And yes, single offset shock. One of the characteristics that I liked about the bike, along with the stubby low exhaust. Maybe offset the drivetrain? I never really paid attention to how it was all layed out.
I'll get a shot under the tail later.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
SonomaZ
Site Sponsor
Red, it's the new red.

The black/red 2-tone works but you'd need to "sell" it a little more.

Just the large block of black in the middle doesn't flow quite right.

Make the "Kawasaki" on the tank black and add a black "spear" on the upper fairing. Black out the front fender as well.

The offset shock must be a packaging/space thing. Since you don't have underseat exhaust.... I spy what looks to be a battery box right in the center under the seat?
'03 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura, 2-wheeled Italian mistress

---> Jimmy update pics will go here!! <---
SonomaZ is offline   Reply With Quote