S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > General Non S-Series Stuff > Fitness/Weightloss

Old 12-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

So I got a set of rollers for Christmas!!!!

Shelly bought me a set of rollers for Christmas. I had asked for them, and she colluded with my best friend to get them from our favorite bike shop.

First off, I didn't video my first attempt at them. Probably should have, but I didn't. I haven't crashed yet, but I have ridden off the side once in the first few minutes.

They're hard. Damn hard. The balancing isn't as bad as I thought. Once I get up and rolling it's just like riding on the road. The bike is steered with my hips, not my hands. I can't bring myself to let go of the bars yet, but I am already getting the water bottle out of the cage, and putting it back. The resistance is MUCH harder than I expected. Running in my small chainring, and the third from the bottom is HARD. I get about 3-5 minutes of riding in, and I'm whipped. If I drop back to the middle of the cassette I can maintain the 90-95 cadence I want, and last longer than a few minutes.

I did manage a full 30 minute workout tonight though. My second time on them, and 30 full minutes was amazingly hard. I would sit and crank for a few minutes to warm up, then run intervals of 1min hard effort, and 1:30 rests. 30 minutes of that and I've completely sweat through my shirt, drenched my gloves, and gone through two complete water bottles. I'm whipped. It's like I had ridden a HARD 30-45miles on the road.

I'm starting my training at my heaviest ever. 209lbs. With any luck, I'm hoping to be down to around my "fighting" weight of 175-180lbs by the end of the year. Long way to go, but 30-45min a night should burn it off in short order.

SO.......anyone else intending to make some progress on the trainers/rollers this winter?!?!?
2kwik4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
Dr. Nate
SSF Subscriber*
The Dr. is in...

Teelton has a set of rollers. I considered them once but then Chevy42083 pointed out I have no kids and the weather is almost great for riding year round.

-Nate
H.A.S.T.E.
2016 Ford F150
2011 BMW 328i ~ Sold
2007 Chevrolet Silverado ~ Sold
2003 Chevrolet Xtreme~ Sold

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, & 2009 S-Series Nationals
RIP Dave
Dr. Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #3
bigjsp

I was thinking roller rockers then roller blades ......... know I am not sure what this is
bigjsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:13 AM   #4
v8blaze

youtube explains all lol, never knew such a thing existed but they look cool as hell
Old 12-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
chevy42083
SSF Subscriber
H-A-S-T-E

Supposed to be EXCELLLENT for training you to keep a perfectly straight line. I kinda want a set for that purpose, and the novelty/fun of it.... but eh, I'll just get out and ride as I have no GOOD excuses. Well, rarely.
I do fear I won't hit my yearly mileage goal because of this winter weather and being busy... when I end up back in my area of town next week I'll plug in the numbers and see where I ended up. It'll be close... shooting for 3k mi this year.
Till then it's squeeze in a ride whenever I can. Bike is nasty already, so no excuse in the rain.

Oh... um, cycling rollers. Like a treadmill for a bike.

chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
Teeleton
Administrator
Righty tighty

What size are the drums? The rollers I have are too big and don't offer enough resistance. I can spin them up to 40 mph. I generally have to stop after 30 min because I'm too tired mentally from the concentration it requires. But yes, the rollers will do wonders for your technique. Smooth pedal, quiet upper body, and yes, riding dead straight.

Teeleton
Teeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
SonomaZ
Site Sponsor
Red, it's the new red.

Great present, I want a set of rollers bad!
My bike just sits all lonely in the basement all winter. And I get fat.

PICS?
'03 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura, 2-wheeled Italian mistress

---> Jimmy update pics will go here!! <---
SonomaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Rhino
Administrator
No S-10 but still a chevy

I'd love to get a bike driven generator, to run a dvd player and a tv... lol.... I'd ride through titanic... ok well maybe something a little shorter...
Old 12-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
Teeleton
Administrator
Righty tighty

It's easy enough.

You can either buy one...
http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Genera.../dp/B003GJL6GO

Or you can build one...
http://www.los-gatos.ca.us/davidbu/pedgen.html

Teeleton
Teeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeleton View Post
What size are the drums? The rollers I have are too big and don't offer enough resistance. I can spin them up to 40 mph. I generally have to stop after 30 min because I'm too tired mentally from the concentration it requires. But yes, the rollers will do wonders for your technique. Smooth pedal, quiet upper body, and yes, riding dead straight.

Teeleton
Here is what I have to ride on. Looks like 3.25" aluminum drums. I can spin mine up to the high 20's low 30's. Pretty accurate to what I can ride to on the road in a flat/windless area.

I've always thought I was pretty stable riding on the road both by myself, and within a group. I'm wondering how much more stable this will make me. I've also been told that I spin WAY more than I need to, although I think we've covered that in depth before My goals for the rollers instead of the trainer was more along the lines of wanting something that wasn't nearly as boring as a trainer. I've sat on a trainer just long enough to get semi-fit to my new bike this year, and just that short amount of pedaling bored me to tears. I know I would in no way be happy long term with a regular trainer.

I'm getting ready to "suit up" and hop on the bike for tonights workout. I'll have Shelly snap a pic or two of me riding while I'm "getting after it".
2kwik4u is offline   Reply With Quote