S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > General Non S-Series Stuff > Fitness/Weightloss

Old 11-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #31
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
I think the little differences aren't going to be an issue. Especially the gear spacing and changes. You'll get accustomed to it.

Crank length... not sure. You MIGHT notice it, but it will be something you either get accustomed to, or switch out later. I can't notice the difference between mine back to back (167 and 170? they are one "size" apart).

wheelbase? hmmm.... I think the geometry will have a greater effect, but that all got really confusing when I was looking into track bikes. My Pista corners like none of my other road bikes. You lean, it darts. Nate spent 1min on it and could tell the difference. I love the feel. The only adverse effect, it's a little wobbly riding no handed. Not bad, just something that I had to get accustomed to in order to keep it in a straight line. I'm likely to pull out a phone, or pull out a powdered drink mix and add it to my water while riding no handed. So, try the bikes in ALL positions you ride in.

EDIT: for the record... I think YOU are geared more towards fast racing than charity/club rides You're being a little modest in the bikes you are looking at. These are ZO6s, not hopped up S-10s. IMO
I tend to agree that I am a more "racey" guy than my buddies. Hence the reason I'm looking at race bikes instead of cruisers. At the same time, 95% of my riding is with the local bicycle club and charity rides like the Livestrong Challenge. I don't think I'll be doing any crit races, or anything like that, but I might try it if I get the chance. I did notice this weekend that when my buddy went to pass me on one downhill on his fancy new carbon bike, I immediately dropped a couple gears and stood on the pedals to catch (and pass) him

I'm also fairly certain (with your last post) that I don't want a full carbon bike for that reason. It seems hard to find a bike without a carbon fork, and I like the idea of the lower NVH (Nominal Vibrational Harmonic for those non-engineering types ) of the carbon material. I want to be comfy on a century ride, but I don't want to sacrifice any handling or lateral stiffness. Hence why I'm landing in the ZO6 range instead of the G8 range
2kwik4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #32
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nate View Post
I agree with Duane, my K2 is very comfortable for the long rides (80+ miles a day). However it isn't the bike that you'd take crit racing (just to damn heavy and not nimble enough). His new Bianchi is handles like a true sports car would. If I was actually clipped in and riding free wheel (not use to fixed) I bet I could have cranked out some serious speed on that thing.

You just have to ride it and see how it feels. You'll either like it or you won't. Stop thinking and worrying so much, just feel it and either decide if you like it or you don't. You can always take it back within 30 days I"m sure.

One thing to remember about carbon, you wreck it you're f*cked.

-Nate
I agree. I'm not gonna plunk down this kind of cashola until I know it's EXACTLY what I wanted. I only payed $600 and a JVC CD Head Unit for the current bike ($625 value ). I got VERY lucky in how well it has held up, and how comfy I've been on it. Total luck. This time I'm investing about 4 times as much money, so I'm trying to be at least 4 times as cautious about what I purchase. I suppose I might be up around 8 times as cautious at this point though eh?
Old 11-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #33
chevy42083
SSF Subscriber
H-A-S-T-E

I'm not THAT afraid of carbon... I mainly find it humorous. They say carbon will break apart, and aluminum will dent badly. Supposedly once aluminum is dented, it's trash. It runs the chance of buckling like an aluminum can under load. Same result, one just slaps you in the face with it

chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #34
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

So you're saying that I shouldn't be riding my aluminum frame that has a sizable ding in the leftside seatstay?!?!?!?!

I have a feeling that might be part of my flex problem too.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:27 PM   #35
Dr. Nate
SSF Subscriber*
The Dr. is in...

I ride with bent aluminum bars. I'm not afraid to ride on carbon, I just don't think I have much use for it since I'm not a pro rider. I don't think that price range is a sign of quality, I think that how you take care of the bike is the better judgement. Many use the same components, so you're basically paying for a name and a material. Thus the aluminum/carbon bike you're talking about should be just fine.

-Nate
H.A.S.T.E.
2016 Ford F150
2011 BMW 328i ~ Sold
2007 Chevrolet Silverado ~ Sold
2003 Chevrolet Xtreme~ Sold

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, & 2009 S-Series Nationals
RIP Dave
Dr. Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:36 PM   #36
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

Quote:
I ride with bent aluminum bars. I'm not afraid to ride on carbon, I just don't think I have much use for it since I'm not a pro rider. I don't think that price range is a sign of quality, I think that how you take care of the bike is the better judgement. Many use the same components, so you're basically paying for a name and a material. Thus the aluminum/carbon bike you're talking about should be just fine.

-Nate
I think the material plays more a part in the ride feel than the weight, or "level" at which one rides. The CAAD9 I'm looking at weighs in around 16.5lbs. My buddies full carbon bike (2CM larger) weighs in just over 17lbs. Assuming weight is a measure of "level" of rider though. The geometry of the bike also plays a much larger part. I'm concerned that most of the carbon bikes I've been looking at are more "relaxed" geometry than the "race" geometry bikes. Like the CAAD9 vs the Synapse. Both can be had in aluminum w/carbon fork configurations, but the Synapse has a more relaxed geometry to it, by lengthening the wheelbase, and sitting the rider more upright than the race geometry. Then also there is the component levels. I'm not sure I'll see a distinct shifting difference between the Dura-Ace stuff on the CAAD9, or the Ultegra stuff on the Synapse, but the weight is a bit less (and the price a bit higher) for the high end race stuff.

My problem all along is getting the right combination setup to get me the most bang for the buck. I think at $2,300 the CAAD9 1 will get me close to where I want to be. A little higher than where I was originally aiming in most all regards. Shifters and drivetrain are a bit nicer. Same frame and fork setup. Nicer bars/stem/seatpost than original. Barely above my initial budget ceiling, but not so much as to think it's not worth it.

I still 100% agree though....I need to ride it to make sure!
Old 11-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #37
SonomaZ
Site Sponsor
Red, it's the new red.

Quote:
I ride with bent aluminum bars.
-Nate
Even when there's a guy willing to unload his brand new Deda aluminum bars for next to nothing.

Alu frame, carbon forks, bars and seatpost here.

Heard all the horror stories about carbon framed bikes and catostrophic failures/breakage. I'd still own one if the right opportunity presented itself.
'03 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura, 2-wheeled Italian mistress

---> Jimmy update pics will go here!! <---
SonomaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #38
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

I currently ride a FULL aluminum bike. The only parts that aren't aluminum are the stem and seat post, which are Chromoly Steel I'm very curious how much these carbon parts are going to help drown out some of the road noise I get. The chip seal in Austin was terrible, as I was riding my full Aluminum bike next to my buddies on full carbon, and full Titanium bikes. Those suns of beaches

Yea, I have a "light" bike now. It's just shy of 22lbs. The new one is just over 16lbs. I wonder how much of that weight change will be evident while riding? It's only ~3% drop in overall weight (counting myself+bike as overall weight)......is that significant enough to notice?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #39
SonomaZ
Site Sponsor
Red, it's the new red.

I'm betting you'll notice the increased stiffness more than the decreased weight.
It will "feel" lighter because of that. All of your effort going into forward motion.
'03 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura, 2-wheeled Italian mistress

---> Jimmy update pics will go here!! <---
SonomaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #40
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

Several of the local guys have commented that same theory.

Of course if I drop the 15lbs I want to this winter, plus the 6 or so lbs from the bike. That will be a 10% overall reduction in weight. I'm certain I'd notice that as a significant change when it comes time to climb those hills next season!

Just have to get back in the routine of spinning classes, and do another round of P90X, and I'll be in good shape (both figuratively, and literally)