S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > General Non S-Series Stuff > Fitness/Weightloss

Old 11-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

The flexing is new to this season, although I think I'm the strongest I've been since I bought the bike. Combining the age of bike with my additional strength, is exposing the flex. It might have always been there and I wasn't strong/experienced enough to find it, or I've become strong enough to actually stress the frame to that degree of flex. Either way, that is my one concern with keeping this frame. It rides nice, and it's still plenty responsive. But throwing another $1k at a bike that barely sold for more than that new is a bit odd. Although I continue to do the same thing to a 10 year old pickup with 200k miles because "I like it"........

Good thoughts guys.....keep 'em coming!
2kwik4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
TECH
SSF Subscriber
Accent, what accent

I would talk to a Cannondale dealer about the flex problem. the frame looks like a 52cm, that frame shouldn't flex like that.if it were steel I'de say yeah OK. If I remember correctly those frames came w/lifetime warranty, of course it been a while since I was involved in cycling. you bought that bike about 2 yrs after I got out of it so I would look into the warranty.
if you do decide on a new frame all the components should swap over. I would get a new bottom bracket though. as for the CF fork that would be a good up grade, it'll take some of the shock out of you and and arms but weight wise I think its moot.
just my thoughts on it.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, alcohol drink in the other… your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"
TECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
Dr. Nate
SSF Subscriber*
The Dr. is in...

I doubt you're flexing the frame, most likely it is your bottom bracket. Flex is good, but to much flex is bad. Most of the flex comes from when you're out of the saddle climbing. You can change out the bottom bracket for a more stiffer setup.

-Nate
H.A.S.T.E.
2016 Ford F150
2011 BMW 328i ~ Sold
2007 Chevrolet Silverado ~ Sold
2003 Chevrolet Xtreme~ Sold

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, & 2009 S-Series Nationals
RIP Dave
Dr. Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:35 AM   #14
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

I hadn't thought of contacting Cannondale directly. That's a damn fine idea. I might run the bike over to the local dealer this weekend and see what they say. The frame is 56cm in size, but still not nearly as large as some of my buddies bikes (61cm Roubaix, and 62cm Kish). Hell I'd be happy if they offered me a decent trade in on a new frame since they obviously can't replace this one with a like model. If they did that I'de be VERY tempted to just build a complete new bike over the winter with the frameset from them.

Did a 18mph avg over 58miles yesterday. We were hustling to say the least as compared to our usual pace of around 15mph for that distance. On several of the climbs I was in the small chainring, and about 3-4 gears down in the rear cassette (keep in mind I only have 7 cogs back there)......If I really pulled on the bars, and mashed the pedals real hard, I could get the chainring to come over and rub on the derailleur, as well as the rear wheel to come over and rub on the brake shoes. Sitting down while climbing, and not pulling on the bars would yield both lower speeds, and reduced flex/rubbing issues. Sadly I ended up riding the last 15mi in on my own, as my buddy broke his fancy new DuraAce chain. Sure it's light, but obviously not that strong. I had to go back and get him with the truck and bike rack. That kinda sucked!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #15
chevy42083
SSF Subscriber
H-A-S-T-E

Do you have a reason to have a "beater" bike? Buying a new one would yeild the old one to be used for grocery, movie rental, work commuting, beer run, bar hopping, etc.

Have you priced what your bike would sell for? Those seem pretty popular now (though the dents... eh.). That could make the new bike cost just as much as fixing the old. Buy new bike, swap the wheelset/bars/saddle/pedals/whatever is better to the new bike, and sell the Canondale with all of the "new never ridden parts".

While two of my bikes are 25+ years old, they are both steal (high end at the time), and very small (52 and 49). I weigh 125 soaking wet... I'm not flexing these frames.

chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #16
Teeleton
Administrator
Righty tighty

My bike flexes a bit when I get up and really crank on it, but certainly not enough to put the chain against the stay. The metal will fatigue after enough seasons on it if you're riding hard. It's probably got some hairline cracks on it somwhere that you're opening up and it just feels like flexing.

Teeleton
Teeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #17
chevy42083
SSF Subscriber
H-A-S-T-E

*Steel is Real

<whatever that means >

Old 11-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #18
SonomaZ
Site Sponsor
Red, it's the new red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
*Steel is Real Heavy
*fixed*

Aluminum is real too, it just doesn't rhyme with anything.
'03 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura, 2-wheeled Italian mistress

---> Jimmy update pics will go here!! <---
SonomaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #19
chevy42083
SSF Subscriber
H-A-S-T-E

Ask Nate about heavy steal
He told someone my new bike was Aluminum before I corrected him.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #20
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

I'm fairly certain I don't want a steel bike. Nothing wrong with it, just not nearly as "neat" as other materials. You guys know I'm a "techie" of sorts, so a steel frame has no appeal to me from that angle.

I REALLY like my Cannondale. My buddies are not quite as understanding about brand loyalty as I am, but what can you do. With that said, I'm looking VERY hard at the CAAD9-5. It's got a full Shimano 105 group on it, as well as a carbon fork. I kind of like the CAAD9 1 as well, but I'm not sure I need the Dura-Ace components, and it's a full $1,500 more expensive......

I'm kind of wondering if I can get just the frame and fork from Cannondale at this point. My buddy does website work, and says he has some work to get done for the local bike shop that is basically plug and chug data entry for thier shopping cart. He says he can set me up to do that work with him, and get store credit for time. Would be nice if I could spend some cash and get a new frame, move my wheels over to the new frame, and maybe work off a complete component group in website work.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!!!