S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > Member Section > Member Projects

Old 01-21-2019, 11:13 PM   #691
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Old tires lasted 5,186 miles. Picked up a set of cheap 205/70/14s. Not ideal but cheap, wider than original and moved from 500 treadwear to 300. Maybe will gain some traction after the new wears off.

After getting them installed I stopped by a friend's house. He excitedly told me he had a set of rallies "I could have" that would look great on the chevelle. After talking me into them he said he'd let them go for $250-300. Now he's talking solid $300. Wheels need to be blasted and painted, and then I'll need tires. They're true date coded corvette rallies (15x8) with trim rings and caps, so it's not too bad of a deal, just wasn't ready for the expense after just dropping coin on tires. No telling when they'll make it on the car, have to get some side jobs going to pay for it all.
64 Chevelle Malibu crew cab, 6.0L LQ4 / T56 V8 swap Click for project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeleton
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #692
TerribleTrux
Love,Peace&Chicken Grease

My goodness! This has come a long way!
99' S-10 Summer driver, 4.3, Auto, Xtreme rims. Thred
TerribleTrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #693
TECH
SSF Subscriber
Accent, what accent

looking good Jeff
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, alcohol drink in the other… your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"
TECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:35 PM   #694
ghettocruiser
SSF Subscriber
I don't know....

I think it looks awesome with the 14s. Gives it more of a sleeper vibe.
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:43 AM   #695
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Thanks guys I really appreciate the comments! It was actually dirty in this pic, still hadn't washed it since the Christmas Eve ride along. Too much cold and rain around my parts to get anything done lately. Did replace the high beam floor switch, don't have to stomp on it to get brights anymore.

Was 17 degrees when I took it out to get tires, heat works really well considering I have 0 insulation in that car and window seals are shot, found out my shifter boot wasn't sealed though, the volume of cold air coming through the boot/tunnel was nuts. Guy working at the shop started hitting me up with detailed questions. He's in the middle of a LQ9 swap in a little 240sx, said he was going to call when he wants to tweak the tuning on it. Damn thing weighs 1000lbs less than the chevelle, that is going to be a drifting rocket when he gets done! He went with a name brand wiring harness, Tick Performance cam, and has it up at Tick right now getting dyno tuned. Was impressed with my worked over truck wiring harness.

"Had to" drive it last night taking daughter across town to softball practice. I think the new has come off the tires and they're starting to bite, first couple miles the car was sketchier than it had ever been. I could be in 2nd or 3rd, "sneeze" the throttle and it was spinning. Now the car actually makes me go wider eyed during acceleration. Lol, I know that sounds stupid, but before it would just slide and eventually gain speed as it was reaching redline, now it's a good mixture of both, I'm not complaining one bit.
Daughter had a big ol grin on her face after I opened it up a little coming home. I will eventually get some more vids, need to get a good outside one and better pics now that all the trim is on.
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 01-27-2019, 12:38 AM   #696
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Just to prove I'm enjoying the cold weather. Check out the incoming air temps on the bottom right of the gauges.

Once again headed up the bypass with the cruise set taking my daughter to softball practice. 392 hemi challenger got spunky around us and ended up taking the same exit. Fate handed us a red light, knew what was up and rolled out when we got green. I took the win and settled down, challenger blew by us (45mph zone, I was into third (60-100)). Next light got next to them, was a chick driving, really cool, couldn't believe her 6.4 got beat by a 6.0. We talked until the light turned green and headed out normally. I then noticed there was a city cruiser 2 cars behind us. :eek. Luckily nothing came of that, made it to practice, I went over logs of the tune I'd just loaded up. 1.5 hrs later sun dropped and there weren't many people hanging around on a Saturday night. Walk out to the car and it was damn near perfect. Nobody parked around and I'd parked directly under a light. Daughter and I geeked out having a photo contest, my android whooped her apple butt. The excuses were hilarious.

Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton

Last edited by Hotwire; 01-28-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:04 AM   #697
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Gentlemen, I finally learned how my passengers have felt with my life in their hands.

Fixed the seat so it could be adjusted and wife drove it around. She hasn't ran a clutch in a while and was a little clunky at first. I was sitting in the backseat, that thing has 0 support, she got on it, springs compressed so much my back hit the wheel well! Was fun though, she was complaining about how the car felt that it took up the whole road. Lol, that thing is smaller than most vehicles out there!

Had a get together / bonfire at the house Saturday night. Took my daughter and her friends for rides. I think I literally scared the sh!t out of one of her girlfriends. Stank up the car a little bit.
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 02-06-2019, 07:57 AM   #698
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Just keeping the forum alive. The new tires are definitely biting a lot better. Took neighbor for a ride. Went down to the cornfields and did a full launch. Slipped the clutch just a hair and got a bad case of vertigo like I used to get in the blazer, almost had to let out of it, felt like I was going to puke, only time I've been thankful of the short first gear. It hooked up and did not spin in first at all. Lol, last time it did that was with the 305/powerglide and 3.08s. He was a big boy, assuming that may have helped plant the tires.

This view, got a little reflective while waiting for people to move. You think any one of the multitude of draftsmen, engineers, marketers, assembly line workers, metal forgers, etc that helped put this car together back in 63/64 ever think it would be stopped behind a half electric car 55 years afterwards? Sent it to Adam, he asked why I lost the race. I'm just trying to get the mpg back up from 17.3.

Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 02-15-2019, 08:13 AM   #699
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Just another cruising pic. Daughter and I were early to practice so we cruised downtown Greensboro for a couple minutes. Had one dude literally stop in the middle of the crosswalk and gawk at us, daughter thought that was cool. I left him with a little 2nd gear action to give him something to talk about. I put a short timelapse video on instagram if you get bored, but not sure if you can see the link, Hotwire454 on there if you're on it: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt2JcN7l...AQHdd7zdxSw40/

Have to check heat ducts / firewall, have cold air coming in from somewhere. Almost afraid it's coming from under the windshield channel I welded in, might have to get creative with seam sealer. Driver's side gets ankle sweating hot, passenger side is in the 60s when it's 30 degrees outside.

Been hearing more and more (ASSuming) valvetrain noise and am getting concerned. Pulled the valvecovers and rockers last night checked pushrods, rocker bearings, springs, keepers, etc. Everything looks ok. Might have a lifter on it's way out? I'll probably put a little marvel mystery oil or seafoam in the oil to see if that clears it up. Still runs like a raped ape though.

(was also checking for leaking head bolts ) Damn thing is really clean though for 100+k miles and I've not done anything to the internals. Running inexpensive Napa 5w-30 synthetic and nothing else.

Car is up on jackstands. Finally pulling the exhaust apart to add in NORMAL o2 sensors so I can use the widebands for real tuning instead of guessing and take another stab at tailpipes. When I was pulling the slip on collectors off last night, noticed they have little leaks, wondering if that's where my valvetrain noise is coming from?

Have a moser diff cover on the floor to replace the leaking proform that's on there. This thing is Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y!! Hated spending the extra for it, but hopefully it'll do me well in the long run. Put shocks/struts/balljoints on a 98 mustang gt, that money paid for it.
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton