S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > Member Section > Member Projects

Old 03-14-2018, 06:59 AM   #421
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Couple more hours in last night. Finally up to speed with where I left off, took a little while to remember / research everything. Strung wires for glovebox light, cig lighter, aux power outlets, and brake/clutch switches last night.

Still have to hook up turn signals/parking front and rear.

Misc items taking a back seat are radio, exhaust cutouts, cruise control, and interior lighting.

Here's where it stands from last night. I know it looks bad, but it's a lot better looking than it's been. You can see the gauges and make out where my buddy shaved the shroud down so that the lip of it is parallel to the gauge faces. This is so I can mate it to the back of the factory gauge surround when I get to that point. I may end up getting a piece of black ABS plastic to run across the face of the factory setup, unsure at this point. When it gets back on the road it's going to be extremely crude at first. Test fired gauges last night, everything works including the lights so I can see them at night.

00 ZR2 Extended cab (8BenZR2/Angus), 4wd, Beater Extraordinaire
98 Habanero 2, 5.3L L33 V8 swap Click for project SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeleton
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton

Last edited by Hotwire; 03-14-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:31 AM   #422
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Didn't get anything done last night, sold some more parts, and daughter had a band concert so that tied up the evening.

My LS7 clutch setup did come in, ordered it Monday with free shipping.. It's straight from a GM parts place in PA, the setup was cheaper than any REAL name brand clutch mfg that I could find. It's GM, but the clutch disc has LUK stamping, I'm good with it.

The downside after receiving it is I didn't do my homework. The clutch kit is popular and holds very well, BUT, it requires a flywheel w/ stand offs for the pressure plate. Luckily NAPA carries them so I'll be seeing my buddy at lunch time today. Hoping they have dowel pins that'll fit it, then it'll wrap up that chapter. I'll be able to mate trans and engine for hopefully a final time and send it home.

Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 03-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #423
HectorM52
SSF Subscriber*
18x8 & 18x10 Boost

Well, did the new clutch bolt up correctly?
Old 03-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #424
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Dunno, I'm sure it will. Pressure plate fits nicely on flywheel, flywheel even came w/ dowel pins installed! Not taking the engine off the stand until I'm ready to bolt the trans up and send it home, flywheel won't fit on there w/ the height of the pressure plate stands. I have to keep on wheeling the engine around to make room for either getting into the car to wire or getting someone's junk in the garage to work on it.

Got more wiring done but it doesn't feel like I've made any progress. Finally mounted the gas pedal, then realized there's no room or place to mount the TAC module except for an upright next to the glove box. Had to undo the wiring harness, extend some wires, and mount the TAC. Tried to finish up the ECM wiring and mount the ECM above the glovebox. The extra weight/size of the connectors and harness are giving the glovebox a run for it's money, don't think it's going to hold up to any bumps in the road so I have to come up with somehow to mount the ECM under the dash.

Dressed the harness coming from the fuse box going towards the firewall. Pretty much all functional wiring is complete, just have to connect rear tail lights to wire harness.
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 03-21-2018, 06:42 AM   #425
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Got tired of wiring. I've got it to a manageable state, so I'm moving on to the next task. I was going to do a final bundle on it but figured it'd be wise to make sure everything works before I do that. If I have to cut one more wire tie.. I also had some leftover stereo install stuff in my bins. I used one of the .. self pinching nuts? The sheetmetal nuts you get with speakers? They fit on the glovebox nicely and meshed with the factory bolts, so the glovebox is secured again. Mounted the DBW gas pedal assembly, used old cam bolts from Habanero. I think I'm going to shim it to bring the pedal down a little, then have to figure out a way to bend the thick pedal to get it away from the trans tunnel. Right now it has room but any sound deadener or carpet will have it rubbing.

When I was doing all the rust "repair" I had the trans tucked under the car to keep it out of the way. The dumbass part was me leaving the output shaft open to the elements. When I test fit a driveshaft a while back it "scrunched" going in. I had to knock the tailhousing off, clean it out, then seal it back up.

Insides look clean as a whistle. There was metal on the magnets, but nothing out of the ordinary, just used. Cleaned them off as much as I could, found out a brass brush and green brakleen made short work of the factory rtv. Looked brand new going back together. Used a paper thin coat of ultra black rtv and high temp thread sealer on the bolts. It's ready to bolt up to the engine, have to get the fuel lines to sit tighter to the trans, then stuffing it home. You can also see the cheap wheel spacer I got to test fit the SS rims. The nuts/studs that came on it are different thread than the chevelle, the lug nuts I have are too tall and stick out. I bought acorn nuts when I was working on the tahoe but have yet to venture back to test fitting.

Last edited by Hotwire; 03-21-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #426
LT1Dime
SSF Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Only problem is I wanted to use that switch as the clutch safety switch as well. (Have to have clutch pushed in to start) This isn't going to work because you'd just need to put your toe on the pedal before it's off the switch. It's at least and attempt at some safety, will get a better solution after I get the hydraulics settled and know the pedal's full throw.
Why are you wanting a clutch safety switch? I’m not running one on mine because I despise them. It’s like the vehicle doesn’t trust you to use your brain. Just don’t crank that thing up in gear!
LT1Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #427
LT1Dime
SSF Subscriber

Oh, I probably should’ve mentioned. Looks like everything is coming together nicely. Keep up the good work!
LT1Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #428
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

I always run the shifter before starting any manual gear vehicle just out of habit. There's no reason for me to have it, but I don't know who'll be driving the car, daughters, wife, etc. It didn't take much effort to incorporate it, I feel better having it. Just one more check to keep any potential hazardous problem from happening. I also needed the switch to run cruise control, so why not wire it up while I'm there..

Right now I have the safety switch tied to keyed power, thinking about changing it to pull power from the brake lights so you have to have clutch and brakes pushed in to engage the starter solenoid.
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 03-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #429
HectorM52
SSF Subscriber*
18x8 & 18x10 Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Dime View Post
Why are you wanting a clutch safety switch? I’m not running one on mine because I despise them. It’s like the vehicle doesn’t trust you to use your brain. Just don’t crank that thing up in gear!
I can count on one hand how many times I've started my cars without the clutch in in the past 20 years. And yes, all but one daily driver has been a manual.

But I think it does more than just act as a starter cutoff, I think it also helps idle the engine down as well.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:48 AM   #430
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Poured a quart of trans fluid down the output shaft while it was standing on end to hopefully splash most the gears to get a little lubrication going on before I fire it up. Got engine off stand, swapped flywheels, and bolted on trans. I'm waiting to install clutch once it's in the car, unsure if I'll have room to get the engine mounted otherwise.

Started messing w/ the fuel lines. Tried to keep as much of the stock tahoe line as possible but my pos benders just started kinking the lines. I ended up tweaking the lines as much as I could by hand.. and knee. It's not perfect, but hopefully it'll clear the tunnel. Going to pull a bolt off the top plate of the trans and put some type of mount on there to secure the fuel lines to the trans.

I left a length of CuNi line on the frame when I ran it. Plan on a gradual 90 off the frame, strap to trans crossmember (trying to avoid direct exhaust heat), then run rubber line between the trans and cross member to connect the lines together. Have to get hose @ lunch and hope to be back on it tonight.
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton