S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > Member Section > Members' Rides

Old 02-10-2019, 03:56 PM   #81
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

I know it's not the same motor, but I'm knocking down consistent mid 16's with the AFM on mine.

Been doing some reading on the fullsize boards. Lots of guys running the monster 6.2L have been swapping over to 3.73 rear gears. Lets the truck run almost exclusively in V4 mode on the highway. Reports of well into the mid 20's are easily found.

What gears are in the Tahoe?
2kwik4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #82
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgearhead View Post
I found this video. Very interesting... https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=pK-zC17-Kx8
Great info, but not much of a screen personality there
Old 02-10-2019, 05:15 PM   #83
mkgearhead
Super Moderator
Torque moves me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik4u View Post
Great info, but not much of a screen personality there
Identical to all GM training videos. Same boring monotone blah blah blah.

'91 Z70 Bravada lowered 4" 350 Vortec w/TBI, TCI-700r4, KYB's, 9C1 cop car steering gear, rear sway bar, yada yada...
'05 Subaru Legacy wagon (wife's daily)
'04 Subaru Forester XT EJ255 turbo, TBE, lowered 1.5" w/springs
'02 K2500HD single cab 6.0 4L80E 8' plow sander/spreader
Case 580K 4x4 w/chains, 10' power angle plow

To help support this site with a donation click here
My cardomain site
Quote:
"The spirit of resistance to government
is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it to be always kept alive.
It will often be exercised when wrong,
but better so than not to be exercised at all.
I like a little rebellion now and then." -Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
mkgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #84
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgearhead View Post
I found this video. Very interesting... https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=pK-zC17-Kx8
Preciate the video. Mine is probably due to lifter bore wear (ASSuming), but haven't really heard of anyone measuring bore diameters.. Looking at that oil pan anyone could probably assume a lot about that motor.. I could understand it being an oil leak @ the VLOM, but the gasket looked good on that lifter casting, and there's only 4 solenoids operating 8 lifters. I'd torqued the VLOM when I put it back together the first time, couple of bolts towards the front of the engine I could turn with my fingers. Thought torquing that down would have increased my chance of success. The chance that another lifter would exhibit the same failure is high, but it was the same damn one with a brand new lifter. I'd like to replace the engine but going to get my money's worth out of this ol girl. Will have to pull the trans at some point and do a rear main, it's leaking pretty good. Was hoping it was just the pan gasket. I'd gladly rebuild the engine but spooked about the bearings as I haven't seen many good stories of rebuilds.

You hear varied reports of mpg with it on/off. I was bracing myself waiting to see the avg econ readout start dropping. When it clicked from 16.0 to 16.1 my eye started twitching and I wanted to grab a sledgehammer and start wailing on something, but it's a crap shoot, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik4u View Post
I know it's not the same motor, but I'm knocking down consistent mid 16's with the AFM on mine.

Been doing some reading on the fullsize boards. Lots of guys running the monster 6.2L have been swapping over to 3.73 rear gears. Lets the truck run almost exclusively in V4 mode on the highway. Reports of well into the mid 20's are easily found.

What gears are in the Tahoe?
RPO shows GT4, 3.73s. The hybrid somewhat spoiled me on the extended V4 mode. This yukon bounced in and out of it like a spastic kid red lining on sugar. I could coax it into staying in V4 mode for a little longer distance if I tried but no where near as easily as it was w/ the hybrid. <-did I just friggin say that!?!? Between the extended oil changes and head bolt leak, this engine is long in the tooth. Still pushes the yukon around easily but you can tell it's a far cry from what it was. Thinking that is the reason it didn't have enough power to stay in V4 long, mainly at lower speed / level ground, or somewhat downhill on the highway.

If I could sell that jimmy I got outright I'd flip this for a newer/less mileage vehicle, but unfortunately the MIL has her sights on the jimmy and doesn't know when she'd have the money to buy it, so all the money I'd saved up / used is probably going to vanish.
64 Chevelle Malibu crew cab, 6.0L LQ4 / T56 V8 swap Click for project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeleton
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:18 AM   #85
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
RPO shows GT4, 3.73s. The hybrid somewhat spoiled me on the extended V4 mode. This yukon bounced in and out of it like a spastic kid red lining on sugar. I could coax it into staying in V4 mode for a little longer distance if I tried but no where near as easily as it was w/ the hybrid. <-did I just friggin say that!?!? Between the extended oil changes and head bolt leak, this engine is long in the tooth. Still pushes the yukon around easily but you can tell it's a far cry from what it was. Thinking that is the reason it didn't have enough power to stay in V4 long, mainly at lower speed / level ground, or somewhat downhill on the highway.
I suspect mine is still decent on power, but it does jumps into/out of V4 mode far too often/easily. I've debated on putting 3.73's in mine, but it's a costly upgrade that doesn't have a really good reason other than an attempt at better mileage, and a bit more fun factor. Too many other things going on to mess with it. I'm running the 3.42's now, and they have plenty of power to pull the boat. I can't imagine what these guys running around with the CC/4wd trucks with 3.08 gears in them. They have to feel pretty underpowered in general.

Interesting that the Hybrid would stay in V4 mode more often. I suppose it was calling on the electric motor to maintain speed under load then? That's a really interesting system, and I'm curious how it would do now with newer gen motors. Doubt we'll know unless GM gets in a pissing match with Ford over hybrid tech again since Ford is putting a giant battery in it's new F150. Read on the Ram eTorque mild hybrid system as well, that looks like a mess.

I'm rambling now......back o the Yukon thread.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:39 AM   #86
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

The hybrid system would help keep the the engine in V4 mode for as long as possible depending on speed/temp/battery charge(miles). Reason I was filling up the #7 cyl with oil and smoking out people behind me when it would go back into 8 cyl mode. It would use the electric motor in the trans to recharge the battery during braking / V8 mode. The regenerative braking would put that truck on it's nose if you needed to, it had 160 some thousand when I got rid of it and still think it had the factory pads/rotors.. Best braking vehicle I had ever owned (sad to say). It would also use the electric motor for acceleration when you got on it, took a second to get everything lined up but it would pull. Between that and the aluminum high compression 6.0 it felt extremely nimble for its size, surprised a lot of people. There were a lot of electrical nannies that kept you from getting a really good pull out of it, but just getting a taste of it between 2000-4000 rpms gave you a smile. Like someone fog shot the engine w/ nitrous. I miss it, but not being able to get parts for it or info to work on it put a damper on it. Couldn't bring myself to hot swap parts or pay a shop to do work on it.. they would probably be hot swapping parts too.
64 Chevelle Malibu crew cab, 6.0L LQ4 / T56 V8 swap Click for project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeleton
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote