S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > Engine Performance & Maintenance > 4-cyl Performance

Old 08-14-2003, 07:18 AM   #21
BlaZR2
SSF Subscriber*
non s-truck member

I've heard several times that the "Maximum Boost" book is well worthwhile. Amazon
Old 08-14-2003, 07:52 AM   #22
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

Quote:
Originally posted by blades
I've heard several times that the "Maximum Boost" book is well worthwhile. Amazon
It is worth the money. I personally haven't bought it yet, but I have checked it out of the library about 4 times
2kwik4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 10:04 AM   #23
BlaZR2
SSF Subscriber*
non s-truck member

I can't even remember the last time I was in a library.

Do they serve gormet coffee in the libraries yet?
Old 08-14-2003, 10:08 AM   #24
wot_racing
SSF Subscriber*
Nice doggy!

I need to order that book...
wot_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 12:45 PM   #25
Spoolin

Damn right you need to order that book [edit by moderator]

I was sitting here [edit by moderator] trying to expand my knowledge because yes he is more turbo literate then I am [edit by moderator]

For a little insurance I would like you to know that I have built from stock a 12 car and high 11 second car. All I want you to tell me is what would it really take to maybe put this truck in the 12's, without a motor swap, all forced induction.

[edit by moderator]
Old 08-14-2003, 02:34 PM   #26
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

OK, I'm pulling rank here.....BOTH of you two knock it off.....Tech section, Tech posts...thats the way it's gonna be, wanna argue? Take it to Pm's...I don't want to see it in here.

NOW, with that said.....

Getting a 2.2 S10 into the 12's...HHMMM...How much cash you got?

Your going to need a custom header, and COMPLETE exhaust from the turbo back (2.5"-3" depending on fitment).

You are going to need to port the heads MAJORLY, and while you have the motor apart, might as well go get some of those fancy dancy forged internals (BTW the cheapest I have found on piston/rod combo is like $2400 :YIKES: ) Since the block is coming out for that, might as well Cryo-treat, adn Nitride it and the crank for some added strength/Safety. Copper head gaskets are prolly not a bad idea at this point either.

Most likely going to need some pretty big injectors..I'd guess around 50#'ers, maybe larger. Anything over 50# injectors requires going to standalone engine management I think...this gets expensive QUICK. I had a wild crazy idea to use a Sy/Ty ECM as a standalone engine mangement unit, and still might do that, just to see what I can come up with, but I wouldn't count on it. There are ALOT of options here on how you tune....Pretty much imagine something and it can prolly be worked out. I think a larger fuel pump at this point is a given.

FMIC is a MUST as well as a pretty good sized turbo...Figure a 20g will get you close, but prolly have to move up to something like a T50-series or something around there depending on flow, desired boost levels and all that madness.

Once you start making all this power (at this point your prolly around 300 rwhp +/- ) you are going to need some suspension to get you to hook. Drag radials will help as will cal-tracs, but I can see the little 2.2 tranny giving up real quick (unless you want to run an Automatic, but thats no fun : pokestickatshaun: ) The rear end will need a Posi.

Brakes would also be a good idea at this point, gotta stop what you get moving!

Really a S10 at all into the 12's is a pretty big undertaking if you want to do it right and somewhat safely. I would be willing to be I could take Blades setup and ring a 12 out of it, but I have a feeling I would only get one pass,and he would be needing a new motor

I have done the research, and done the math, and then done the financing.....the $$/hp ratio just isn't there IMO...Your looking at about $8k EASY under the hood, and your only getting things started and into the 14's.... I dunno.....I'm tired of typing I'll think about it more and post later
Old 08-14-2003, 03:23 PM   #27
BlaZR2
SSF Subscriber*
non s-truck member

Quote:
Originally posted by 2kwik4u
I could take Blades setup and ring a 12 out of it, but I have a feeling I would only get one pass,and he would be needing a new motor

Sounds good to ME, but lemme check with Mrs. Blades on that.
I believe her reply might go something like this:
Old 08-15-2003, 09:43 AM   #28
wot_racing
SSF Subscriber*
Nice doggy!

Quote:
Originally posted by 2kwik4u
I can see the little 2.2 tranny giving up real quick (unless you want to run an Automatic, but thats no fun : pokestickatshaun: )

My transmission will take anything you want to throw at it..

Of course it did cost more than some people paid for their trucks...

[edit by moderator]
wot_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 12:36 PM   #29
Spoolin

Well I am glad to see what it takes to get into the 12's [edit by moderator] every thing you said is pretty much what I had in mind except for maybe the turbo I was thinking more a T3/T4 with a 50 trim.

[edit by moderator]
Old 08-15-2003, 12:46 PM   #30
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Spoolin
......member ready to put this behind him or his this going to go on forever?
I think he is, but calling him thick headed really doesn't help the situation any......

Come on kids.......Play nice!!!!!!

The T3/T4 50 trim would work, but I was just using a Mitsu Turbo as an example. I have a little more experience with thier naming system, so it is a little easier for me to understand that way.