Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > Member Section > Members' Rides

Old 12-03-2018, 07:48 AM   #31
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by static low 92 View Post
I have never heard of a head leaking?

We talking about like a very fine crack?
Right now I'm unfortunately working with an exasperatingly thorough engineer that beats subjects to death while talking.. I'm one to say anything, right?

He's got an 02 tahoe that has a Jasper rebuilt engine, he was losing small amounts of coolant, but Jasper puts every LS head in a jig and pressure tests them. Then come to find out I have the same problem. He'd sent oil to Blackstone Labs via my recommendation and it does have coolant contamination, he's getting the engine replaced under warranty. He's talked to the uppers at Jasper and said that GM drops these tablets into every LS engine right from the start. Could be true?

https://www.jegs.com/p/ACDelco/ACDel...42529/10002/-1

Here's Jasper's video if you don't mind listening to Mr. Magoo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JcQ...ature=youtu.be

I'd taken pics of the head so he could see what the design looked like. Only thing I can figure is the head bolt pedestal is solid aluminum, but the aluminum around it is thin. These head bolts are TIGHT and I assume are putting the pedestal through a considerable amount of twist, might be the reason for the hairline fractures. You start the bolt pattern @ 22ft lbs, then 90 degrees, and another final 90 degrees. That's a lot of work on that pedestal. If you're loosing small amounts of coolant and don't have any leaks, no CO or CO2 in the coolant tank, no oil in the coolant, that's probably your problem, for future reference.

Not proud of my hatch job or cleaning, it's just a high mileage daily driver..

Here's the backside close up of the head bolt pedestal I was talking about. Thought I had a cracked head, it's just cleaning solution running out of the coolant hole.

Drove the Yukon in this morning and watched the tach as I was slowing down, the RPMs do drop down to 500-475 when coming to a stop like the torque converter is staying locked or something to that nature. Bit unnerving having to slow that much weight down and feel the engine tugging too.
64 Chevelle Malibu crew cab, 6.0L LQ4 / T56 V8 swap Click for project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeleton
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton

Last edited by Hotwire; 12-03-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #32
static low 92

We kept AC Delco tablets on shelf, and sold them a good amount to shops.

Always kinda was curious why the F would these be needed in a new application. Now I know
static low 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:22 AM   #33
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

They seem to do the job. Engineer was wondering what they contained so I dug and found the datasheet for them. Lol, mostly ginger and almond shells!

http://msds.fmpco.com/images/fmp_msd..._Seal_Tabs.pdf

150 miles down and still going!
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 12-04-2018, 07:26 AM   #34
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

If anyone is wondering, this is what it looks like after a thrash like that. Did a lot of cleaning and putting things away last night, still have to wipe down the bench and spray the floors out.

Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 12-04-2018, 01:37 PM   #35
static low 92

What a disaster...lol
Old 12-07-2018, 07:19 AM   #36
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

First tank of gas down, filled up a little early due to oncoming weather. I'd ran Chevron w/ Techron to try and get a good clean on the injectors. Ended up 16.3mpg, little painful. It is running really well though. Will get out of the hole pretty well, doesn't have the grunt the hybrid did though. Got the old man 1 finger driving position down.

I am enjoying the truck though. I love this platform for some reason, it just fits. It drives nicely, rides smooth, AFM is a little funky getting used to though. Sounds like a truck hitting it's jake brake in the distance and it does vibrate the yukon at lower speeds. Going to check the engine mounts, might be worn down. I can hear the engine a lot more than I could the hybrid. I know the hybrid had the extra mufflers but it's not exhaust, it's intake noise. It's all stock up front, just wondering what the difference is, not complaining though, making the right noises, until the AFM kicks in.

Found out why I thought my BCM wasn't keeping my settings. You could turn the horn off during lock/unlock and it still would. Remote start would issue a rapid 3 count honk which was annoying as hell. KARR-4040A, guess having an alarm is required in California? Thinking the honking was the shock sensor while the engine was firing up.

Speaking of comfort, the seat cushion is blown out. It's not as uncomfortable as a wreck s-series seat, but still pushes you to the outside.

To combat this I found the seat shop sells new leather covers and foam. As much as I want to replace the leather it's not in the budget right now. Hoping to get to this soon, really want to pull the seats and clean the carpet, it's pretty bad.

$125 shipped off amazon

Last thing is the headlights. The tahoe had 1 bulb for lo, 1 for high, really lit up the country roads. The yukon has 1 bulb for both. Doesn't really help project the light, just looks like the lo beams, but brighter, doesn't change the broadcast pattern of the light. I might end up putting some brighter bulbs in the driving lights and wire them in to the high beams.
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 12-07-2018, 08:26 AM   #37
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

I think all GM Fullsize SUV's are required by law to have that seat shape after ~50k miles. Dunno if it's the height of hte truck, or the propensity for people to NOT use the running boards as steps to get in/out, and just slide over the edge, or what is going on there. Mine were that way towards the end, and I even worked hard to NOT slide across that edge.

I bought a set of bulbs for my Sierra last week. One went out, so I replaced them both with the new Silverstars. They were freakin' $63/set from AutoZone. I swear those guys are going to put themselves out of business on pricing alone. I'm seriously considering upgrading to HID's next go round. The ballast/bulb/wiring setup on my truck (do to the factory projector housings) is only like $175. I saw a setup while looking for those that included the project lense as well for somewhere around $225. If the stockers still suck after you get good bulbs in there, might be a worthwhile update.
2kwik4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:37 PM   #38
static low 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik4u View Post

I bought a set of bulbs for my Sierra last week. One went out, so I replaced them both with the new Silverstars. They were freakin' $63/set from AutoZone. I swear those guys are going to put themselves out of business on pricing alone. I'm seriously considering upgrading to HID's next go round. The ballast/bulb/wiring setup on my truck (do to the factory projector housings) is only like $175. I saw a setup while looking for those that included the project lense as well for somewhere around $225. If the stockers still suck after you get good bulbs in there, might be a worthwhile update.

Silverstars have to be biggest waste of money.

When I worked for Oreillys I tried 2 sets of silverstars, not impressed and they would blow out unreasonably quick. Been buying the Kelvin color bulbs I wanted from Ebay for $10/set last 6+ years with as good or better results. Little inside info from a parts guy. Bulbs are one the biggest price gouged parts on the shelf. Our cost on a set of say 3157 bulbs was like .45 cents and we sold them for $5+pr
Old 12-08-2018, 07:20 AM   #39
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

I'm running the Napa Nightvision blue bulbs. They have Gold, Blue, Silver (listed per price). I tried the golds and didn't like them. They're trying to mimic silverstars, too much tint on the bulb, not as bright in my experience, puts out a rainbow/gold anodized look. The blue has a light tint to them and put out the whitest/clearest light for a cheap headlight bulb, I run them in everything I own. I hate bulbs with tint, seems to take away from the output, but that's what the industry has gone to.

All the big nut swinging truck guys have gone to the ebay LED or HID headlights, blind the living hell out of you but don't seem to have much depth to the lighting. Think it's too much blue in their lights. Yellow is the most penetrating wavelength of the visible spectrum, reason fog lights are yellow. Ok, work on a saturday, guess my brain and coffee are ready..
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old Today, 08:43 AM   #40
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by static low 92 View Post
Silverstars have to be biggest waste of money.

When I worked for Oreillys I tried 2 sets of silverstars, not impressed and they would blow out unreasonably quick. Been buying the Kelvin color bulbs I wanted from Ebay for $10/set last 6+ years with as good or better results. Little inside info from a parts guy. Bulbs are one the biggest price gouged parts on the shelf. Our cost on a set of say 3157 bulbs was like .45 cents and we sold them for $5+pr
Yea, I won't be buying comodity parts at the local parts store anymore. Had to have those and new wipers at the same time. Wipers were $26/each (WTF $26 for a single?!?!), they were $8/ea online. Same with the bulbs. If I wasn't driving in the dark and the rain I would've waiting on both.
2kwik4u is offline   Reply With Quote