S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > Member Section > Member Projects

Old 08-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #471
static low 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Got me wanting something bad!
You have something? Just gotta finish assembly lol

And im betting his car should be a solid 500lbs less than chevelle... So you better up the POWA!! just to make sure you can gap him lol

ADAM:
And good luck this go-round on motor.

my issue with rods was Clevite was about only manufacturer building "oversize" shells for honed cracked cap rods. And I wanted better bearings i.e. King or ACL... and if you keep rod stock size its same as sbc...so you have endless possibilities for good bearings. I bought 3 sets of GenIV rods and none of them were good enough to run, that was last straw on the last build I had started. #LSCURSE lol
static low 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #472
HectorM52
SSF Subscriber*
18x8 & 18x10 Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by static low 92 View Post
And good luck this go-round on motor.

my issue with rods was Clevite was about only manufacturer building "oversize" shells for honed cracked cap rods. And I wanted better bearings i.e. King or ACL... and if you keep rod stock size its same as sbc...so you have endless possibilities for good bearings. I bought 3 sets of GenIV rods and none of them were good enough to run, that was last straw on the last build I had started. #LSCURSE lol
Man, this is all I think about every time I hear anything that doesn't sounds like a cam rumble.

Funny thing is, the thing started rattling and knocking the day after I posted that video above. Talk about a sinking feeling in your gut. Turns out I rushed this build (what's new) and forgot to torque down the flywheel bolts. Hell, I didn't even tighten them, just finger tight. And I drove the thing 20 miles down the road before I heard a thing. Scary.

Anyway, I took a couple days and pulled it back apart, tightened those bolts, triple-checked many other bolts, cross-threaded a header bolt (dammit) and it's all back together and running good now.

Took a trip to Summit Racing with another member who doesn't check in anymore (avewhtboy) and we terrorized the back roads between his house and Summit. He's in his '73 Vega with a 408 SBC with large cam and Vortec heads. The cars are pretty evenly matched, but he may have me with the extra torque.

Sometimes I can hear the valvetrain making lots of noise (probably just old, used parts) and it scares me like I've got a bearing going again, but I'm hoping I'm just extra paranoid and I won't have to tear this thing down again. We'll see.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:29 AM   #473
static low 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by HectorM52 View Post
Sometimes I can hear the valvetrain making lots of noise (probably just old, used parts) and it scares me like I've got a bearing going again, but I'm hoping I'm just extra paranoid and I won't have to tear this thing down again. We'll see.
You know, all the bearing failures I experienced. IT never made noise.

My tell was when the oil pressure started to get low...and stay there. Always would jump to 30-50 with rpm. But when it would settle to sub 10 at idle...I knew.
static low 92 is offline   Reply With Quote