S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > Member Section > Member Projects

Old 02-04-2018, 09:07 PM   #411
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

3.25" metal hole saw would have cost the same, if not more, nibbler has more fun potentials.

Thanks on the wiring. I'm getting excited at how it's laying out. Next I have to figure out lengths for the trunks and start length matching.

No work on car today, had to work on brother's ride, but then something happened.

00 ZR2 Extended cab (8BenZR2/Angus), 4wd, Beater Extraordinaire
98 Habanero 2, 5.3L L33 V8 swap Click for project SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeleton
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:59 AM   #412
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Once again, side work on other's vehicles have slowed me down. Between having to re-arrange the garage, then spend more time than I'm willing to admit to re-find items is getting really old.

Have been spending time trying to find a driveshaft yoke that will work. On the verge of just ordering a new one instead of trying to find a junkyard yoke that will work. Going to try to call/visit shops around my work to see what they've got to offer. One upside is Oliver's driveshaft is about 20 mins from work in Winston-Salem. Don't want to pay that much but the way this damn thing is going it'll be a drop in the bucket.

Have spent a LOT of time on wiring. More time than I should have, but I want this to crank up on first try and never have any issues.

Wife and daughter were headed to the store Sat morning, asked them to grab me something, wise asses delivered.

With drive by wire setup, I'm going to have a stupid simple 3 wire/switch cruise control ready to go. I'm ok with that.

Roll around seats are not fun for long periods of time, but after stretching out a couple times here's where I'm at. All ECM lines are set to length. Still need to mount fuse box, get length measurement, and finish up power wires, but again, progress is progress:

I finished off last night by labeling EVERY SINGLE WIRE coming out of the silverado fuse box. Time definitely wasted. I'm kicking myself in the butt by trying to use this AND integrate it into the 64's wiring setup. But at the same time all the circuits will be overly protected and I'll have plenty of fused circuits at my beck and call whenever I like. Downside is the girth associated with this beast. I was going to put it to the right of the steering column, but the heater control cables have taken that space. So I'm trying to shoe horn it between the clutch and parking brake pedals. Have to fab up custom mounts for it, have a feeling I'll be wasting a lot of time trying to figure out how to hang it vs just getting it done.
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 02-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #413
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Struggled with finding a location for the fuse box to where I wasn't worried about chafing, moving parts, or access to fuses. Finally settled on a decent spot, I can get to all the wires easily and all the fuses/relays are in plain view as well. I couldn't figure out how to mount the box. I'm unfortunately going to wedge it under the dash and securing it with zip ties. I can't figure out how to separate the box halves to gain access inside, so I don't know of any safe spots to run zip screws through. There's not enough room under the dash to incorporate the original mounting setup. Finally, I'm not smart enough to figure this out in a timely manner. With one 1/8" zip tie I can rock it with my full body weight on it and it does not move. I will be using larger zip ties, rubber hoses on sharp metal edges, this thing will be solidly mounted.

I had to swap the wiper and headlight switch locations on the dash, but that's the extent of it. It's not going to be pretty, but it will be fully functional, out of the way, and out of mind. It uses the steering column support rod as it's main hold, there's an upside down c-channel on the inside lip of the dash that the box mates to like it was made for it. Any more downward angle and it would start to interfere w/ the clutch pedal.

Looking through dash where gauge bezel mounts, wire bundle will cross over steering column, have a stress relief @ the defroster duct, then angle down to the grommet in the firewall center. I've already put 1/2" hose on the upper left corner so it rests against the cowl tray w/o scrubbing it w/ the hard plastic.

Look through w/ bezel in place, already beating up my paint on the dash.

Looking up from the floorboard, not 100% ideal, but can still easily access every fuse and relay for future repairs.

Looking through the backside of the gauge bezel, you can see the clearance I gained by swapping wiper/headlight switches in the bezel. This will NOT work with stock gauges. Luckily the trailblazer gauge setup is shallow and will work.

How the switches look, I will fix this in the future, right now it's function over form for the time being.

*EDIT* Forgot to mention I had help in making this decision a reality. Adam and Rick both gave me input that helped pull the trigger on it. Words of wisdom like send it and hit it with your purse were used.
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton

Last edited by Hotwire; 02-15-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:27 AM   #414
static low 92

Looks like you got your big purse out
static low 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #415
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Yea, going to need a bigger one now..

Almost done w/ main trunk wiring, think 5 more wires lengthened and it's on to peripheral wiring.

Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 02-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #416
static low 92

Ugh....

Zero envy lol
static low 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:39 AM   #417
6SpeedBlazer
SSF Subscriber
Partially retarded

coming from a guy that enjoys wiring stuff. thats a cluster ****. lmfao
06 saturn ion
08 TBSS AWD
6SpeedBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:32 AM   #418
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

It is a cluster ****. I should have just got a add on fuse box, ran the LS stuff to it, and called it done. But noooooo, I like to save money and grind through sh!t.

Got the harness setup happy on the engine and most of the "main trunk" wiring done out of the car. Pulled it off the engine this weekend and put it in the car. I'm extremely happy with the mock up, there's enough slack in the harness to really route it properly in the car and hide it once done.

Only thing lacking is wire to heater fan and charging cable from alternator.

Once I got it in the car I started noticing little extras I needed and it's causing grief. The "underhood fuse box" (what I have) mainly has constant battery power lines. There's an additional relay box and in dash box that it works off of to run everything. I've had to shuttle circuits around to get everything connected properly. The headlights work off relays in the box, but they're controlled w/ ground. I've had to re-wire the 64 headlight and high beam switch to work this way, not a big deal, but more time sunk.

Right now I'm to the point where I have to figure out the clutch / brake switches so I can get them wired up and checked off. This includes fabricating a mount for the clutch switch.

Here's how it looks in the car. ECM trunk will go over the top of the heater box to above the glove box.. box where the ECM will sit. Tidy. You can already see it split loomed on the pass side of the defroster duct.

The main power trunk will come from behind the defroster duct on driver's side, angle over to the steering column, go behind column supports (in front of in pic), then route up over the fuse box (cascade into the connectors). It will look a lot better once I get it zipped up and split loom over it, have to leave it loose to run all the other wires. You can see all the battery power (orange wires) on the far left.

And finally figured out how to mount the fuse box solidly. Used 2 zipties to the dash c-channel, then hacked the factory box mount so it hugs the column support. This angles the box away from the gauges for more room and also improves fuse/relay accessibility on the backside.

Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton