S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > Other Topics of Interest > Group Purchases Forum

Old 02-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
HotRodV6
Restricted

LS1 F-body/Vette Rear Disk E-Brake Cable Kits Group Purchase

Ok, well theres been alot of talk on the forums lately about upgrading the brakes on your truck, and alot of people want to dump the rear drum brakes in favor of bigger disk brakes for obvious reasons. Well the 98-02 LS1 F-body 12" rear disk swap is very popular and a direct bolt on for all S-10's and blazers with the stock 7.5/7.625 and 8.5 rear axle. If you have a 91 and older model you will be required to drill a couple holes in the axle flange, but its not that hard, most 92 and up models will have the same 4 bolt axle flange as the f-body. The biggest problem is how to hook the ebrake back up as the stock cables are not even close to working. Well a fellow member over on SyTy.net came up with a great way to be able to use most of the stock ebrake system by only replacing the rearmost lines with new ones that are alittle longer and have the correct ends to be able to hook up to the F-body backing plates.

If you have or are thinking about swapping in a ford 9" or other stronger rear axle and you will need to be narrowing it down to fit, i suggest you get Moser 7900FM housing ends, they are around 80 bucks from summit, and allow the LS1 f-body rear disk to bolt directly on, the the backing plate turns in to what is holding the axle in the car, so no c-clips, and then from there this kit is a direct bolt on.

Heres a few pics of the setup installed on a 91 Syclone, but all trucks will have the same install setup. Also you can see where you will have to drill the 2 upper flange holes if your axle has this same type of axle flange, most 92+ wont need this option done, also this kit will work on both 2 and 4wd.

Cable Brackets that bolt to Axle Flange

As Installed on a 91 Syclone

Heres a pic of the complete kit with all hardware

Prices:
Complete kit--$200 + $15 shipping/handling
Axle brackets only--$100 + $10 shipping/handling
Powdercoated Axle Brackets--$10 (Gloss Black) Other colors $5.

I will be offering the axle brackets primed & painted with 2 coats of high gloss black paint, if you want a different color, LMK. I can powdercoat them for an additional 10 bucks, with gloss black as the standard color, other colors available for 5 bucks more, or i can leave them bare metal and you can do you own thing if you have a color theme going.

Also these brackets have been fitted on trucks with up 17x11 ZR1 style wheels and anything bigger and or wider there should not be a problem.

There will be a slight change in the kits, the pic above of the cables is what will be included in the 1st gen kits, the only differance will be in the cables for the 2nd gen trucks. No change in price.

If anybody has any questions feel free to post them in this thread and ill answer them as soon as possible. Also you can email me at HotRodV6@aol.com or on AIM at HotRodV6.

Basically the first design that jjorgensen52 had on the cables worked, but i wanted to have the factory type LS1 end on the cable, and the cable manufacturer was able to order the correct end. So i think this will make a much better product in the end.

So anytime your ready to step up the brakes on your truck, just give me a shout on email, or pm and ill get you taken care of.

Thanks

Last edited by HotRodV6; 07-23-2007 at 05:32 PM.
HotRodV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
ZZ4Blazer
Stepping up my game

Very interested in this.

So, the kit replaces the cables, from where they joint into one, like by the end of the cab?

The cables are the length for standard cab trucks?

Also, most of the time, we've mounted the brakes backwards. Having the caliper mounting towards the rear of the vehicle, stock on the fbody being towards the front.

How are these set up? Like in the pictures? Are they mounted towards the rear, so that the ebrake lever pulls forward?
8.5"
NX nitrous
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
HotRodV6
Restricted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer
Very interested in this.

So, the kit replaces the cables, from where they joint into one, like by the end of the cab?

The cables are the length for standard cab trucks?

Also, most of the time, we've mounted the brakes backwards. Having the caliper mounting towards the rear of the vehicle, stock on the fbody being towards the front.

How are these set up? Like in the pictures? Are they mounted towards the rear, so that the ebrake lever pulls forward?
Yes, the calipers are mounted to the rear, and the cable pulls the lever forward for the parking brake, and yes it replaces the factory rear lines from the equilizer back and as far as i know the rear lines themsleves are the same length on both reg and extended cabs and blazers. Just the intermediate cable would be longer.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
ZZ4Blazer
Stepping up my game

Sounds good, put me down for a kit.
8.5"
NX nitrous
Old 02-13-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
HotRodV6
Restricted

Quote:
Sounds good, put me down for a kit.

PM sent

Also i went ahead and added a list of people that want a complete kit or just axle brackets to the first post.

Last edited by HotRodV6; 02-13-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
HotRodV6
Restricted

I have added some contact info for anybody thats interested, and also i had the wrong price listed for just the axle brackets, so i fixed that as well.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:48 AM   #7
extreme gmc

would this work on an 8.5 rear end?
Old 02-18-2007, 06:17 AM   #8
ZZ4Blazer
Stepping up my game

It should work with whatever rear end you have, as long as your runnign the LS1 rear discs.

BTW, mines an 8.5"
8.5"
NX nitrous
Old 02-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #9
HotRodV6
Restricted

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme gmc
would this work on an 8.5 rear end?

Quote:
It should work with whatever rear end you have, as long as your runnign the LS1 rear discs.

BTW, mines an 8.5"

Yes the 8.5 and stock rear axle have the same axle mounting flange so this kit will fit.

I also updated the first post with the new info that this kit will fit the 8.5 rear axle.

Also updated the buyers list, only need 2 more people to get in on this and i can make the initial order for the cables, and then after that i will have the cables and kits available on an as ordered basis so you wont have to wait.

And finally i know that some guys have dont a 9" swap, and if anybody has an old stock 9" axle flange laying around id like to make the brackets to fit the 9" also, and i believe the stock f-body backing plates could be made to fit also, or if your thinking about swapping in a 9" you can do the same thing im doing with the chrysler 8 3/4 axle that will be under my GT is get some moser 7900FM housing ends from summit or the like, and since the axle will need to be narrowed and new axles bought anyways, using these housing ends allow the f-body brakes to bolt directly on, and then just tell whoever you get the axles from what brakes and housing ends you have and its a done deal, and still for the most part bolt on.

Last edited by HotRodV6; 02-18-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:08 PM   #10
Nate Hanson
SSF Subscriber*
Resident Caltrac User

Could you also post this thread in the suspension forum, and i will make it a sticky for you.

----Support our Troops!-----

-----9/11/2001 Never Forget-----

"We'll Put a Boot in Your Ass, because thats the American Way"~Toby Keith
Nate Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote