S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > Member Section > Member Projects

Old 03-21-2017, 04:36 PM   #181
static low 92

Being bored and internet surfing at work is going to be the death of my savings account...lol

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...=53&superpro=0

Stumbled across a killer clearance deal on spherical bearing lower control arms today, had to snag a set. I really want their rear arm chassis braces, but at an additional $150, I just couldn't pull trigger on it yet. That can wait.
static low 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:37 AM   #182
static low 92

Huge steps forward last night.

Spent about 3.5 hrs in garage attempting to get the box in it final mounting position so I could drill holes in my block off plate and get it sent to powdercoat.

I was struggling for at least an hour, box just wouldn't sit how it needed to. So I reverted back to the instructions....(sad day) and missed a step that mentioned having to trim the defrost duct upwards 2.5". So I did that, and was able to get a better situation. I thought I had it whipped, then noticed that the lines were too far past firewall that the plate was unable to sit flush. So another hour or so burned trying to figure out best way to pull box back into car 1"+. I found a air cleaner stud adapter that fit perfect on their mounting stud. That gave me probably 1/2". Then I redrilled holes in the box to move their mount bracket forward. And that was enough to get me in ballpark. Everything seemed to finally look to fit decent. So I pulled the trigger on drilling the holes in front dash lip for the front mounting tabs.

I really racked my brain on best way to make a pattern of the line location to transfer holes to the plate... I used a piece of paper and rubbed my dirty fingers over each line tip to make a ghost pattern. Then measured off a hole in firewall to bottom heater hose. It ended up being close, still had to modify 2 holes to get the plate to line up over its mounting holes. Not super thrilled about it, im almost considering making a new plate now that I know where everything is for sure, and trying to make a nicer version. But that's easily a 2 hr ordeal.

My next struggle is what to use to seal the plate to the wall. I need it to be waterproof for sure. My first consideration was camper tape, but that's not gonna seal well imo. I thought about strip caulk, or possibly just black RTV. IDEAS welcome.

Last edited by static low 92; 03-22-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:39 AM   #183
static low 92

Burned up a decent amount of evening building a ECU bracket, that ended up not really working out where/how I had planned to put it.

So at 9pm, I was back to drawing board. So attempting to figure out my options to mount the ecu within the constraints of wiring length and make it appealing somehow, I realized I have this huge hole and wasted space of wiper cowl section. So I got die grinder out and hacked the hole. I had to remove the foot well air door for space to allow ecu to slide in. My new power antenna addition is limiting it from going in completely flush. But still far enough to appease me. and with fender installed it should be almost completely hidden. Im fairly happy about this decision purely because the only other options were it was going to be a visual eyesore in engine bay. WAS NOT thrilled about that...lol

I may try and use my box I built and weld it into my block off plate. Need something to support the ecu in hole, and I already spent a bunch of time on it. Might as well attempt to use it.

Last edited by static low 92; 03-24-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:55 AM   #184
static low 92

Spend my entire Sunday in garage. I feel like I didn't get anything done. But forward progress is progress.

I went to local hot rod shop Saturday and had my AC lines built, I had bought a kit from them, and I could use like 2 fittings in their kit an all of the hose they gave was to short. So I returned $130 worth of parts expecting an even exchange to have what I needed made. Well and hour and half later my lines were built and I owed them another $90.... goddamnit. Figures.

I hacked up the ECU mount I made last week to make useable in new configuration of going in the cowl. basically gonna end of welding it to the firewall, I painted it Sunday, so couldn't do final install till paint dried. I trimmed my block off panel to accommodate the new hole.

Messed with a few misc items, installed new license plate light assemblies I had bought a while back. Mine where rusted to hell and always has bothered me. Make rear bumper look much better.

I also finished prepping and painted the firewall. I should have never tried to fill the seam with sealer, should have waited to do it right with glass and filler to make it completely smooth. Oh well, im sure ill have to dig all that seam sealer out in a few years when I wanna to it right. lol

Spend a fair amount of time messing with my antennae to get it to sit flush with fender as I wanted, so I had to install and remove fender numerous times to get it where I wanted. Also took a pic of the ecu with fender on, its completely hidden except for wiring, happy about that.

Made a block off plate to cover hole where I removed the foot well door vent

Messed with some wiring, I bought some new side terminal ends that are kinda neat, they don't require you to strip wire. so I ran a single 4 ga to a stinger block I had, then split starter wire/alt wire/other power wires. So should look much cleaner. Also I have 2 ports left to add any constant powers if I need them later.

My powersteering pressure hose was a custom made hydraulic line, well it literally sat on top of plug for AC compressor. So I had a buddy cut of the straight and crimp on a 45* for me.

Sending my firewall plate and kickpanel plate off to powdercoat after work today. In mean time I want to try to get all the under dash wiring cleaned up, and ready to install box. I need to make a mount plate to hold the headunit, I guess im just going to mount it under the dash until maybe later on down road I build a center console and house it there.

Last edited by static low 92; 03-27-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:08 AM   #185
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Looking good Greg! I got the same cheap license plate lights. The chrome piece doesn't follow the curve of the bumper and cheap ass plastic lens. I've cleaned up the factory glass lens w/ rubbing compound and am using it instead of the plastic. I just don't know how I'm going to secure it to the bumper, the screws that came with it don't come close.
00 ZR2 Extended cab (8BenZR2/Angus), 4wd, Beater Extraordinaire
98 Habanero 2, 5.3L L33 V8 swap Click for project SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeleton
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #186
static low 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Looking good Greg! I got the same cheap license plate lights. The chrome piece doesn't follow the curve of the bumper and cheap ass plastic lens. I've cleaned up the factory glass lens w/ rubbing compound and am using it instead of the plastic. I just don't know how I'm going to secure it to the bumper, the screws that came with it don't come close.
Well. Idk if id call these "cheap" they were $20 each from OPGI. which I wasn't thrilled about.

Mine fit decent. the clips they use to hold them are kind of a joke. Had to reuse factory ones.
Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM   #187
static low 92

Not a ton of work last night. But I got what I wanted to finish done.

Got my ECU box final welded in, used some foam/and carpet to tighten up fit and it fits like a glove. was hoping to line entire piece with carpet, but its just a bit to tight to go with carpet on floor of box. So it will have to fly.

Had a Brown box on my porch when I got home. Snagged a set of BMR spherical bearing rear lower arms that were on clearance, couldn't pass it up at $200, regular $380

Last edited by static low 92; Yesterday at 08:00 AM.