S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > Member Section > Member Projects

Old 11-05-2018, 09:02 AM   #491
HectorM52
SSF Subscriber*
18x8 & 18x10 Boost

Well, as usual I wrapped up my last-minute thrash. I got the rear back under the car and cruised up to Pigeon Forge. Started off okay, but I quickly noticed I still have a big vibration at speed. It's done that ever since we did the 4-link over the winter. The good news is that this wasn't a trip where we'd see too many triple-digit speeds so it was okay for the most part.

When we got up there we got a ride in Jeff's beast - that's my first time seeing it in person after watching him build it for these past few years . The thing is a beast, makes me wonder why I didn't opt for a 6-liter?!?!?!

After messing around for the evening, we hit the Autocross on Friday morning - but only Rick (in the Vega) decided to formally enter his car. My Nova really didn't like the tight stuff last time I took it out, so I decided to go out on the back roads and have some fun while doing a little data-logging thinking maybe we could get it running a little better/stronger. Then after about 20 minutes, this happened:

Basically, the mount that Rick and I made for the 4-link ripped the side of the frame apart from itself. It's crazy how thin the metal is there, it was like a Coke can!!!

Anyway, there were several folks willing to help. Rick ended his day early and came to get me with the trailer. We ratchet-strapped the rear end so it would roll, then took it to a shop called "No Limit Engineering" - which is one of the Pro-Touring guys who relocated from California a few years ago (Rob MacGregor). He's got a red '69 C10 on wide-5 wheels...I'd be willing to bet it's one of the top-5 fastest street trucks in the country. It's nice. Anyway, he offered to have one of his guys put my car on their lift and do a repair. So we did.

We beat it back into position, you can see the hole into the frame:

Then the guy plated the frame (like it should have been, doh).

Unfortunately it was late by this time and the guy didn't seem interested in doing the passenger's side. Which basically cut my weekend short as I didn't want to get stranded on the Dragon or somewhere 50 miles from a shop with no cell service.

After that we ended up trying to adjust the pinion angle to a better position which led me to see that my upper links are too short OR that my lowers are too long. I thought that the wheels/tires were getting pulled toward the front of the car too much (and that the wheels were no longer centered in the wheel opening) so I made plans to fabricate longer upper arms (more on that later). Making some adjustments helped with the vibration, but did not eliminate it.

The car did fine on the way home over the mountains and up into the clouds. At one point visibility was 50-feet or so. It was crazy. I wasn't able to get the phone out quick enough for a good pic, but I did snap one after the cloud started to clear up.

So this week I'm working on the upper control arms and also hope to be plating the passenger's side framerail.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #492
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Rock on man, I hope to start working on my suspension soon.

Got a pic of said truck, that shop was AWESOME!! I wish I'd taken pics of the track car their building but didn't want to step on toes.:

64 Chevelle Malibu crew cab, 6.0L LQ4 / T56 V8 swap Click for project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeleton
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #493
static low 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by HectorM52 View Post

We beat it back into position, you can see the hole into the frame:

I mean I see it ripped frame, but boy im surprised those boogers held lol
static low 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #494
HectorM52
SSF Subscriber*
18x8 & 18x10 Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by static low 92 View Post
I mean I see it ripped frame, but boy im surprised those boogers held lol
You must be referring to those high-quality welds!!
Old 11-09-2018, 07:14 AM   #495
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HectorM52 View Post
You must be referring to those high-quality welds!!
I thought he was talking about the stack on the lower control arm.

*EDIT* Looking at the pic, couldn't you have just mounted the tab to the factory plated area just ahead? Or is that too long for the upper arms? I'm ignorant to the geometries of the 4 link. Learned a little with my car but am still in need of sitting down and figuring it out.
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 11-09-2018, 08:42 AM   #496
HectorM52
SSF Subscriber*
18x8 & 18x10 Boost

So, I mentioned my upper links being too short...which is probably only half true, I also think the lower links were too long...

The reason is that I set up the rear end based upon the wrong angle. There is a nice flat spot on the bottom of the 8.5 rear end that I used to calculate the angle. The problem is, that thing is about 5-degrees off of parallel to the centerline of the yoke. Wish I had realized that when we were building this thing.

I had to fix it...so when we went to "adjust" the pinion UP about 5-degrees, i got about 3-degrees up and ran out of threads. We shortened the lowers and lengthened the uppers, there just wasn't enough adjustability.

I went to Summit and got some new tube ends and happened to have some 1.25" tube leftover so we made new uppers, about an inch longer. And I actually cleaned them up and put a coat of paint on them!

Anyway, I got back home and re-installed the arms. I tried to get the thing "into position" as much as possible, but when I checked, I was going the wrong direction! (of course the car was jacked up in the back in this pic, exaggerating the pinion pointing down toward the ground...

Then I started working it "up" (these pics were taken with all wheels on the ground).

I think I'm between 2- and 3-degrees pointing UP towards the trans and I believe the trans is 2- or 3-degrees pointing DOWN towards the rear. As far as I know that's perfect.

I still get some vibration at around 70, but I can't tell if it's driveline vibration or my wheels/tires.

She's back on the ground for now!

Old 11-09-2018, 09:21 AM   #497
HectorM52
SSF Subscriber*
18x8 & 18x10 Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
I thought he was talking about the stack on the lower control arm.
I really need to clean those things, up don't I???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
*EDIT* Looking at the pic, couldn't you have just mounted the tab to the factory plated area just ahead? Or is that too long for the upper arms? I'm ignorant to the geometries of the 4 link. Learned a little with my car but am still in need of sitting down and figuring it out.
Looking from this angle, MAYBE. The floorboard curves down and MIGHT cut off the top of the bar if we were to move the front mount "forward" in the car to that location. But I get what you're saying, there's a plate there, why not use it?
Old 11-15-2018, 07:49 AM   #498
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Any break in the rain to check driveline angles? Mines been stuck in the garage due to all the swamp weather here.
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 11-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #499
HectorM52
SSF Subscriber*
18x8 & 18x10 Boost

No, but I went out and tested it anyway. Still get the same exact drone/vibration right at 70 mph. I'm beginning to wonder if it's in the yoke - remember I cut off the dampener (and part of my thumb too)? But there was also a tiny bit of play in the rear u-joint. That can't be good.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #500
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Have you tried running it up to speed on jackstands? That's where I caught my yoke flopping around like a fish out of water. Driveshaft shop never saw it when they rebalanaced it because they chocked the yoke up @ the neck nearest to the u-joint. They do this to avoid marring up the slip yoke part.

My vibration was coming in around the same speed, could REALLY feel it through the shifter. My driveshaft was hitting right around 3400 rpms when it started going to hell.
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton