S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > Technical Corner > Exterior Styling

Old 07-22-2004, 01:25 AM   #1
Rhino
Administrator
No S-10 but still a chevy

How to Make 9006 Bulbs work in Envoy Headlights...

Too broke to spend the money on the HID setup for your envoy swap..

well I was too.. so here's what I did...

(Sorry for it being so crude)

First I made matching brackets as shown in this very crude drawing..

The back of the headlight

looking down from the top

Another shot of the back of the headlight

Also before I put the bulbs in I ran the edge with a little bead of silicone to ensure that no water would get in, since this ISN'T supposed to be the way the lights work....

NOW.. I don't have any night shots as of yet with the headlights on, but I will take some soon, and post them, They may not put out AS MUCH as the actual HID's, but from what I've noticed they put out more light, than the stockers in this case..
Old 07-22-2004, 02:04 AM   #2
Loyalty
SSF Subscriber*
Jer

ah so thats how you did it
Old 07-22-2004, 04:31 AM   #3
scott750
SSF Subscriber*
C is for COOKIE!!!

One question I have, does the 9006 sit in the housing at the same distance as an HID would? I have seen pics of HID bulbs where they are longer than normal bulbs. So the center of the bulb that makes the light is at the perfect distance with respects to the reflective background inside the housing. If the 9006 is not at this same distance, it will either shine at the wrong angle, or most of the light will not reflect straight out.
2008 Trailblazer SS - Silverstone Metallic 6.0L 390HP LS2, leather/suede seats, SS Chrome front bowtie, Grafxwerks Silver Metallic rear bowtie overlay, Kenwood DDX712, JL Audio 500/5 amp, JL Audio C5-650 Component Front doors, JL Audio VR-525 Coaxial Rear doors, JL Audio Stealthbox Sub.

*SOLD*2001 S-10 - Dark Cherry Metallic Red, V6, ZQ8 +2/3, Blazer 4 wheel disc brake conversion, stock zq8 wheels, Gibson exhaust, SLP Y-pipe

My Gallery : Cardomain Website
scott750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 12:29 PM   #4
Rhino
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01ZQ8
One question I have, does the 9006 sit in the housing at the same distance as an HID would? I have seen pics of HID bulbs where they are longer than normal bulbs. So the center of the bulb that makes the light is at the perfect distance with respects to the reflective background inside the housing. If the 9006 is not at this same distance, it will either shine at the wrong angle, or most of the light will not reflect straight out.
Like I said, I'll post up night pics.. but as far as I can tell, these actually seem to put more light out than stockers, NOW the HID setup I am sure puts out WAY more light...
Old 07-27-2004, 10:13 AM   #5
Slow01S10
SSF Subscriber

did you use a Silverstar headlight?? I have been using those for over a year now and they work great, very bright light. I took them out of my mom's blazer before she traded it in.
2013 Silverado Z71 ext cab
Slow01S10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:12 AM   #6
Rhino
Administrator

ya I have silverstars in the low beams, and I don't remember I think eurolite's in the highbeams..
Old 01-07-2005, 10:10 AM   #7
Rhino
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01ZQ8
I'll have to take pics of my truck at night for ya so you can see... I'm positive that HID's would be the route to go if ya had the jack layin around to buy the kit, and the harnass, but if you're a poo lil white boy, such as myself lol, I just made due with what I had till I get the money for HID's.. 400 dollars + just seems like a WHOLE lotta money when it's just headlights...
Old 03-09-2005, 03:03 PM   #8
5speed2005JIMMY
president - T.J.O.C.

ENVOY headlight units - question...

Yes, those Envoy headlights...hmmmm....

In our small Jimmy owner's club, we have only 2002-2005 Jimmys...with the stock 'composite' headlight units (turn / parking / low-hi beam and markers in one unit)

However, I LOVE the look of those Envoy 'projector' style units...

I even have a 'mock-up' of what it would look like on a black two-door 2005 Jimmy on our website 'mods and concepts' page...look down near the bottom where we have it posted - along with a picture of a stock 1999 GMC Envoy!!

http://tjoc3.tripod.com/id3.html

Do you think that it would be a straight replacement for the stock units (aside from the change to HID lamps)? I also would not have the bucks immediately to mount the HID units / bulbs / ballasts right away - so the 'rigged' up standard bulbs / home-made brackets thing looks good to me also!

Man, can we be creative! (on the other hand, ALL GMC owners HAVE to be creative, due to the 'little' things we need to deal with....you know...tail gate glass that won't open / leaking rear washer tubes under the floor etc!!!)

Jess
5speed2005JIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:58 AM   #9
liltruck

Im guessing its just aluminum you made the brackets from? I used pieces from my stock sonoma lights but your idea looks easier to do . Think im gonna head out to the garage and make some for myself!
Old 12-01-2006, 01:09 AM   #10
extreme gmc

could someone please fix the images?
thanx!!!
Charlie