S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > Member Section > Member Projects

Old 11-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #11
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Dime View Post
And I might be purchasing an adjustable timing set to advance the cam 2-4 degrees. Any thoughts? This engine is obviously built for torque and doesn't have enough airflow to support much too end HP.

Jeff, this engine is basically 180 degrees opposite from H2's setup. My engine starts losing power about the same RPM that yours starts making power. It will be interesting to compare the dyno sheets. Out of the three vehicles headed down there, yours will definitely be the strongest on the dyno.
Advancing the cam means the power curve comes in sooner. You'd want to retard it to prolong the power curve, correct?

For perspective, I want to advance mine so the power comes in sooner, I'm not reaching the peak power of the cam cause I'm not revving to it's max. I haven't went that route because I've been too lazy to calculate valve lift / piston to valve clearance / etc. Don't have the $$, so I don't want an excuse to spend it. I have even thought about running the cam one tooth off (either cam or crank gear), but again, no $.
64 Chevelle Malibu crew cab, 6.0L LQ4 / T56 V8 swap Click for project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeleton
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #12
LT1Dime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Advancing the cam means the power curve comes in sooner. You'd want to retard it to prolong the power curve, correct?

For perspective, I want to advance mine so the power comes in sooner, I'm not reaching the peak power of the cam cause I'm not revving to it's max.
This is why I'm asking. In my mind, I want to advance it so that it builds torque quicker, which will hopefully match the rest of my setup. But, the stock Vortec truck cam isn't huge and it's already made to provide low end torque for 4x4 trucks, towing, etc. so maybe straight up is the way for me to go? I will do more reading on this. I do know that advancing the cam will bump up my dynamic compression which might be good since its relatively low right now.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #13
LT1Dime

Crap, I might've spoken out of turn earlier about my engine being drilled an tapped for the lifter tray bolts. I thought all 87-95 blocks came ready. I just read that some 93's were, some weren't. All 94-95 weren't. This engine is a used replacement that was dropped in the burb probably around 15 years ago. Hopefully I can tell from the casting number whether or not this block is ready for the roller. I definitely don't want to tear it down and get a surprise if I can help it.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #14
LT1Dime

Here are a couple pics from today. Many more are to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (93.0 KB, 67 views)
Old 11-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #15
LT1Dime

The powerplant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (101.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 11-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #16
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

But if you advance it, any power drop off you have around 3k will come in quicker. You're basically moving the power curve closer to idle when you advance the cam.

Bumping the DCR is a good thing, that's the problem I have. I have awesome flowing heads, ample intake, and fuel, BUT the cam is bleeding pressure off like a mofo at low rpms.
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton
Old 11-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #17
LT1Dime

I'm tracking with your thinking on this right now, Jeff. The cam is already a truck cam meant to make good low rpm torque. Advancing it will assure a ton of bottom end, but I already have plenty of that, and I have the low gears to get it rolling.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:47 PM   #18
Compulsion2Mod
Can't leave stuff alone..

I may be speaking out of turn because I don't have first hand experience, but have been reading up on this recently for my own project... However, I think that your power drops off because of head flow limitations, and that more cam timing would build power quicker and you would never even rev to the point that the cam timing would limit power. Again, take this with a grain of salt, just my current thoughts.
Compulsion2Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #19
LT1Dime

You mind finding us some links so that we can read up? I want to make the most educated decision I can.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:00 AM   #20
Hotwire
Subscribed Moderator
I HATE RED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compulsion2Mod View Post
I may be speaking out of turn because I don't have first hand experience, but have been reading up on this recently for my own project... However, I think that your power drops off because of head flow limitations, and that more cam timing would build power quicker and you would never even rev to the point that the cam timing would limit power. Again, take this with a grain of salt, just my current thoughts.
You are right, shows you my mentality, didn't even think about the other factors, just honed in on the cam. I knew you have the longtubes, but didn't give a second thought to anything else affecting flow.. After hearing Adam ***** about his neck I didn't think you had any problems w/ getting off the line..
Quote:
Hot wiring is bad news.
Teeleton