S-SeriesForum.com  

Go Back   S-SeriesForum.com > Member Section > Members' Rides

Old 04-18-2017, 05:48 AM   #281
6SpeedBlazer
SSF Subscriber
Partially retarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik4u View Post
Gotcha. I've been messing with the DFCO Tables. Got it to go in on the highway in 4th this afternoon on the way back from lunch. Upped the Enable TPS and Airflow tables by 5%, and upped the disable tables by 7%. No immediate ill effects that I could notice. Added another 2% tonight and will be logging/testing tomorrow.

I'll drop the min to 90% on the TCC lockup and see if that feels any better. I've also enabled the "shift lock" setting. Seems to work just fine keeping the TCC locked during a downshift/upshift if I manually move the shifter. Noticed it was "flaring" a little when I upshifted from 3rd to D manually after it had locked in 3rd.

Retested the EV fan in the driveway tonight. Commanding 100% yielded SOME improvement in fan speed at idle, but not much. I'm suspecting that it's not working as it should, but is still working at some level. Not sure how I want to proceed from here. I'm really torn on this one.

Know any good resources on where I can start reading about fuel and spark tuning? I know there are some gains to be had in MPG and performance there, just not really sure where to start in on those. There are SOOOOOOO many more tables in this OS than in the OBD1 stuff I had experience with.
For spark its hit or miss, you REALLY need a loaded dyno to tune spark. Because you want to know actual feedback to get the best results.

Most guys say to add spark till you hit knock and back it off a couple degrees, well thats not the best way. you want the engine to be at MBT (maxium best torque) well that setting may be 10* before you hit knock and running an extra 8* of timing could kill power. When i took my tuning class this the was coolest part for me. Little turbo honda. locked at a certain RPM on the dyno and the teacher live updated the timing and showed hp and torque output. ~10* timing showed the best torque (MBT) but we were able to run like 23-24* total before it knocked, but we also halved our power output.

With that being said, i dont run super hot timing maps because i tow with all my personal trucks. SO i log torque output and add 1-2* and recheck check power output. As long as i dont see any significant drops or Knock retard i run it. I also have to worry about not always finding 93 octane gas. so i pay it safe.

As for fueling, I like to disable long term fuel trims and then log short term vs maf vs AFR error to clean up the maf table. On newer trucks like ours, the VE tables play very little in fueling, Most guys just disable VE And run maf only tunes. on the couple trucks i have done header tunes on, cleaning up the maf was enough to bring trims back to an acceptable level.

Our trucks run virtual VE so you have to use a 3rd party (blue cat) software to tune the VE table. I think the latest versions of HPtuners addressed that, but im not sure, my software is a little outdated at the moment.

On older trucks with actual VE tables, you tune those the same as the maf, log STFT vs the VE table and look at your percent AFR error and adjust accordingly.
06 saturn ion
08 TBSS AWD
6SpeedBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:44 AM   #282
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedBlazer View Post
For spark its hit or miss, you REALLY need a loaded dyno to tune spark. Because you want to know actual feedback to get the best results.

Most guys say to add spark till you hit knock and back it off a couple degrees, well thats not the best way. you want the engine to be at MBT (maxium best torque) well that setting may be 10* before you hit knock and running an extra 8* of timing could kill power. When i took my tuning class this the was coolest part for me. Little turbo honda. locked at a certain RPM on the dyno and the teacher live updated the timing and showed hp and torque output. ~10* timing showed the best torque (MBT) but we were able to run like 23-24* total before it knocked, but we also halved our power output.

With that being said, i dont run super hot timing maps because i tow with all my personal trucks. SO i log torque output and add 1-2* and recheck check power output. As long as i dont see any significant drops or Knock retard i run it. I also have to worry about not always finding 93 octane gas. so i pay it safe.

As for fueling, I like to disable long term fuel trims and then log short term vs maf vs AFR error to clean up the maf table. On newer trucks like ours, the VE tables play very little in fueling, Most guys just disable VE And run maf only tunes. on the couple trucks i have done header tunes on, cleaning up the maf was enough to bring trims back to an acceptable level.

Our trucks run virtual VE so you have to use a 3rd party (blue cat) software to tune the VE table. I think the latest versions of HPtuners addressed that, but im not sure, my software is a little outdated at the moment.

On older trucks with actual VE tables, you tune those the same as the maf, log STFT vs the VE table and look at your percent AFR error and adjust accordingly.
Awesome help. Thank you sir.

I had read about the timing issues and how knock isn't really a good indicator of maximum power. I too will be towing with mine, so a super hot tune isn't what I'm looking for. A few more HP's is never bad, but driveability and reliability is king for me.

Interesting that the VE is no longer used as much as it used to be. This was the "go to table" before, and was used as the base, then modifiers were added to keep the fueling in line with atmospheric changes and such. I just downloaded the latest version of HPTuners from the website, so I would assume it has the Virtual VE setup in it. I also stumbled across bluecats software the other day searching for something else. I suspect that the fueling is fiarly off on mine due to the rebuilt motor. LTFT's are in the 14% range, so my understanding is that it's at least that far off. One question on the fuel tuning....is the narrowband stock O2 worth tuning off of, or is it only possible with a wideband?

The overall process sounds VERY similar to what I'm used to, and what I've been doing with the TCC Lockup and DFCO. Make a small change (one thing at a time), log, interpret, adjust, repeat until satisfied.

Speaking of DFCO, I put a new tune in this morning. Was hitting DFCO regularly on the way into work in 4th gear with TCC Locked. No idea if this will provide any dividends in fuel mileage, but figured it couldn't hurt at my 14.1 mpg lifetime average. I can send you a file if you like.

What are your thoughts on Torque Management? Leave 100% drop to 50%? I don't regularly beat on the truck so for the most part I think I want to just leave it alone, didn't know if there was any reason to mess with it other than that.
2kwik4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:15 AM   #283
6SpeedBlazer
SSF Subscriber
Partially retarded

Leave TM where it is unless you want to buy a trans.
06 saturn ion
08 TBSS AWD
Old 04-19-2017, 05:42 AM   #284
6SpeedBlazer
SSF Subscriber
Partially retarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik4u View Post
Awesome help. Thank you sir.

I had read about the timing issues and how knock isn't really a good indicator of maximum power. I too will be towing with mine, so a super hot tune isn't what I'm looking for. A few more HP's is never bad, but driveability and reliability is king for me.

Interesting that the VE is no longer used as much as it used to be. This was the "go to table" before, and was used as the base, then modifiers were added to keep the fueling in line with atmospheric changes and such. I just downloaded the latest version of HPTuners from the website, so I would assume it has the Virtual VE setup in it. I also stumbled across bluecats software the other day searching for something else. I suspect that the fueling is fiarly off on mine due to the rebuilt motor. LTFT's are in the 14% range, so my understanding is that it's at least that far off. One question on the fuel tuning....is the narrowband stock O2 worth tuning off of, or is it only possible with a wideband?

The overall process sounds VERY similar to what I'm used to, and what I've been doing with the TCC Lockup and DFCO. Make a small change (one thing at a time), log, interpret, adjust, repeat until satisfied.

Speaking of DFCO, I put a new tune in this morning. Was hitting DFCO regularly on the way into work in 4th gear with TCC Locked. No idea if this will provide any dividends in fuel mileage, but figured it couldn't hurt at my 14.1 mpg lifetime average. I can send you a file if you like.

What are your thoughts on Torque Management? Leave 100% drop to 50%? I don't regularly beat on the truck so for the most part I think I want to just leave it alone, didn't know if there was any reason to mess with it other than that.
speed density aka VE tuning is kinda of outdated a good maf tune will run a lot better.

the VE tables are rarely used in day to day driving and are really only there in the event of a maf failure.

GM puts so little effort into tuning the stock VE tables that the zr2 (in stock form) would almost not run on just the stock VE table, it took a lot of work to get the table to a good drivable state.
06 saturn ion
08 TBSS AWD
Old 04-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #285
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

So, stock clutch on the fan is definitely dead........

https://goo.gl/photos/otEVkp4mhdK9uJtr9

That's not what you want.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:28 PM   #286
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

Replaced fan clutch tonight. Old one was tossed in the trash. Will have to log some to see how well it worked.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:36 PM   #287
HectorM52
SSF Subscriber*
18x8 & 18x10 Boost

Yeah that doesn't look good. Glad you figured it out.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:40 AM   #288
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

Logged a little bit this morning in the parking lot at the office. Commanded lockup took a but to react but seems to actually make a change. I'll be curious to see how this clutch does with idle A/C situations. Previously it didn't work for crap, maybe now it's better?

I'm not holding my breath though.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #289
6SpeedBlazer
SSF Subscriber
Partially retarded

E fans for the win
06 saturn ion
08 TBSS AWD
Old 04-26-2017, 07:36 AM   #290
2kwik4u
SSF Subscriber*
I'd rather be boating!!

Not much new to report other than a new exhaust leak that has developed over the last week. Went through and tightened all of the manifold bolts on the passenger side last night. Found two that were ~3/4-to-1 turn loose. Didn't resolve the leak though. Definitely sounds like it's coming from the passenger side, but only under load, so it's hard to check in the garage, and of course once you check on the road, it's too damn hot in there to do anything with it.

Anyone recommend a good set/brand/make of exhaust manifold gaskets?

I would like to get the truck on some stands this weekend and get this resolved.